Help with Hose Clamp removal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Help with Hose Clamp removal?

Well this is a stumper. I finally got the gumption to try and install the ETS TMIC and Hondata Heat gasket while I was off today. So I am taking the bolts and such off of the TMIC, and I went to take the hose clamp off of the rear rubber hose that connects to the J-pipe possibly, and the screw of the clamp comes out. The clamp did not loosen at all. Of course, the clamp is in the middle of the back of the engine almost under the hood frame, so there is very little room to work with pliers or a screwdriver. I have never seen the metal clamp not loosen. My thoughts are that the clamp itself is "melded" to the rubber and will not move. I even tried to loosen the bottom clamp, and same thing, the clamp screw starts coming out. Freaking amazing. Does anyone have any tricks, tips, etc. regarding this. One option I guess is to cut the rubber hose in half so I can pull the IC off, then replace this and the clamps, but who knows how much that costs? Anyone face this before? Thanks
Old 11-23-2016, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't cut the hose just yet, even if it seems the best option. Try taking a sharp, flat-blade screwdriver to push/separate the remaining piece of the clamp off the hose. As you suspect, the clamp just sort of embeds itself into the hose over time and with temp cycles, so you'll have to work the clamp out of it's home.

Best of luck!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:12 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks Bshotts, I was thinking I should do something like that to the clamp first to try and "unstick" it. Problem is there is not alot of room to stick anything in since the Intercooler and top of the hood frame are right there preventing a lot of wiggle room. I gave up as soon as the screw came out of the clamp. Never had that happen before. Also, it looks like I need a 10 mm screw for the new IC instead of the stock 8mm screw for some piece that screws in, I will try this again on some weekend when I have gobs of time. But since this is Football heaven and Holidays, and training for a marathon, it may be a while.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:47 AM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
take tools spare hose clamps and all parts to be swapped and go for a drive it will then "magically" come apart