What iPod adapter to choose (Neo, USASpec, Dice) ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
phoward_15 (the quote buttons are gone for some reason): Smart Playlists will not work, either. I would say that at least 50% of my 15,000+ songs do not have proper id3 tags, so there is nothing to sort on other than the file name, which is usually just the title and maybe the artist. The automatic album finders do OK, but the genre info is just not accurate or useful (I think there are 100+ genres on my files that do have genre, which is useless).
Old 04-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
phoward_15 (the quote buttons are gone for some reason): Smart Playlists will not work, either. I would say that at least 50% of my 15,000+ songs do not have proper id3 tags, so there is nothing to sort on other than the file name, which is usually just the title and maybe the artist. The automatic album finders do OK, but the genre info is just not accurate or useful (I think there are 100+ genres on my files that do have genre, which is useless).
Brizey - I'm not going to lie. I'm kind of anal when it comes to data so my iTunes database is pretty clean and I try to keep my genres clean. However, if you see in iTunes when you go to the file's properties that you have a genre then when you make a Smartlist for that specific genre it should show up no matter what. Because as long as iTunes can read the genre category it'll get added to the playlist. Wish I could see what you're talking about.

The other thing you can do is highlight all the tunes from the same artist and do a mass update on genre. Just sort by artist then click on the first song, hold down shift, click on the last song of the artist, right-click and go to options and change the genre for all. It'll bring up a warning message asking if you really want to do this and just say ok/yes. Then you're all set.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phoward_15
The other thing you can do is highlight all the tunes from the same artist and do a mass update on genre. Just sort by artist then click on the first song, hold down shift, click on the last song of the artist, right-click and go to options and change the genre for all. It'll bring up a warning message asking if you really want to do this and just say ok/yes. Then you're all set.
This might work. My specific problem is not just blank genre info, but bad genre info. Since it is not really standardized, I bet I have 50 to 100 genre labels, which to me, is useless. For example, for me, metal/hardrock/speed metal/thrash/heavy metal/etc/etc should be lumped together. Dance and electronic music is even worse. Techno/house/hard house/drum and bass/electronica/dance/chill/etc/etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...c_music_genres

I just need to spend the time to clean it up. Even if I do what you say it will take hours--I bet I have over 1000 artists.

But I usually just throw a couple hundred songs on the ipod along with an audiobook or two and go. I have video, too, for lunch time, and an old 16 GB touch, so I have to be picky.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Pro

I hear ya Brizey. What I would do if I were you is do like 100 artists a day or week even and just gradually go through them. As you clean up your genres, the ones you don't use actually disappear from the genre list so your genre list will get cleaned up as well.

Either that or spend time creating the "Smart Playlists" and just use the advanced logic to group your genres into one smart playlist.

It took me weeks to take my 500 CDs and import just the songs I wanted. But after it's done you have exactly what you want.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Got this in my TL-S now, and like it a lot. The only thing I don't like is with the steering wheel tuning control, it doesn't go to the next song, but goes to the new category. Ugg. I have to use the turn knob on the stereo to do that. Dunno if anyone has a way to fix that, but oh well.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Got this in my TL-S now, and like it a lot. The only thing I don't like is with the steering wheel tuning control, it doesn't go to the next song, but goes to the new category. Ugg. I have to use the turn knob on the stereo to do that. Dunno if anyone has a way to fix that, but oh well.
That's weird. On mine the behavior is the exact opposite. i wonder if it is a difference between the TL and RDX implementation.

Q: When using XM, does pressing and holding the steering wheel +/- buttons change the station number by +/- one? It does in the RDX.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

It goes between stations by pressing the steering button for XM. But on the ipod it does that but since the US SPEC uses those keys for category by Artist, All songs, Playlists and so on instead of going to the next song. So not sure.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
It goes between stations by pressing the steering button for XM. But on the ipod it does that but since the US SPEC uses those keys for category by Artist, All songs, Playlists and so on instead of going to the next song. So not sure.
Just pressing, or pressing and holding?

Off topic: where did you buy your 6000k headlights, and how tough were they to install?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

Just pressing, not holding. I will try to hold on the way home tonight to see what it does.

I got them from HIDXtra on here. The fogs were easy to install, but the headlights were hard as I didn't want to take the bumper off so I had limited space in the wheel well to work.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Pro

Pimpin-tl...it might have something to do with your setting of using either "Category" or "Channel" mode. Trying flipping between these and then see if it makes a difference. Look at page 8 of the manual.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

I hold down the tuning on my steering wheel and it goes to the next song now. phoward, I will take a look at that. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:45 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I got a question guys,
I understand that if you disconnect the iPod you will get back use of the Xm right, but if it is connected is it possible to still use/listen to the Xm Sat radio?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wspy
I got a question guys,
I understand that if you disconnect the iPod you will get back use of the Xm right, but if it is connected is it possible to still use/listen to the Xm Sat radio?
Yes. You just go to XM2.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Nice!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I just picked up a used 2007 with Tech package and would like to playback MP3s and it seems my options are either a whole bunch of MP3 CDs or an iPod with an adapter. From the various threads, it looks like the leading iPod adapter is the USA Spec PA15-ACUxl as the PXAMG model seems to be having some issues with recent Apple iPod updates. Are there any others to consider these days? For those who have the USA Spec, it sounds like the main issue is slow performance when searching through your collection. Is it something you can get used to or do you really need to use playlists? Any other comments/complaints?

Also, has anyone seen an RDX compatible adapter to playback tracks from a USB thumbdrive through the stereo system like this one? http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=14138
I notice it works with pretty much every late model Acura except for the RDX.

It's a shame that the RDX can't playback MP3 DVDs because I would have been perfectly content with ~28GB of music!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Pro

I have the USA Spec and it's awesome. I've had no problems with any of the Apple iPod or iPhone updates. I use playlists for all the music I listen to so using this feature in the car was nothing new to me. I think Playlists are the best way to organize and listen to music anyway. Way better than genres. Just because the genre says "Jazz" it doesn't equate for "Fast Jazz," "Slow Jazz", etc so I make playlists for moods based off of genres.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think playlists, especially smart playlists are the best reason to own an iPod. I have an 8GB Nano and 16+GB of music, I use smart playlists to balance the music I always want to have around with fresh stuff.
I also really like the instant Genius playlist feature and was worried that it wouldn't work with the USA Spec adapter. Luckily, I figured out how to do it, but it takes a few steps.

When you are listening to a song you want as the basis for your Genius playlist:
  1. switch to [Direct] mode (preset 5)
  2. Start Genius from the in song menu on the iPod (hold down the center button)
  3. switch to [All Songs] (preset 4)
The iPod will continue playing the Genius playlist.

Enjoy, I'm loving my new (to me) RDX and USA Spec adapter.

Originally Posted by phoward_15
I have the USA Spec and it's awesome. I've had no problems with any of the Apple iPod or iPhone updates. I use playlists for all the music I listen to so using this feature in the car was nothing new to me. I think Playlists are the best way to organize and listen to music anyway. Way better than genres. Just because the genre says "Jazz" it doesn't equate for "Fast Jazz," "Slow Jazz", etc so I make playlists for moods based off of genres.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmypop
I went to that link, and was mortified that their site is stuck in 1992.

Flashing text is inexcusable... though on the fly switching is intriguing.
Just like BMW styling.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Advanced

I ended up picking up the USA Spec adapter and installed it this morning. So far, so good... I really want to thank brizey for his pics in this thread. That really helped me get my bearings behind the glove box.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by superblast
I ended up picking up the USA Spec adapter and installed it this morning. So far, so good... I really want to thank brizey for his pics in this thread. That really helped me get my bearings behind the glove box.
Ditto, I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and it was a breeze! One thing I wanted to do was mention that there is a rectangular hole, about 1" X 2", in both the right and left carpeted panels of the center console. The iPod connector cable can be routed out of the center console without running along the floor and is completely hidden by the front seats. I wanted to take a picture, but haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 07RDXTechTB
Ditto, I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and it was a breeze! One thing I wanted to do was mention that there is a rectangular hole, about 1" X 2", in both the right and left carpeted panels of the center console. The iPod connector cable can be routed out of the center console without running along the floor and is completely hidden by the front seats. I wanted to take a picture, but haven't gotten to it yet.
There's good pics, including the center console on page 2 of this thread... again, thanks brizey!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the pics brizey! Just did the install today and it was a piece of cake.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

You're welcome, guys. Been helped many times on sites like this, so I figured it was my turn.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I installed the USA Spec adapter in my 07 RDX last night. Thanks to the instructions on this page it was super easy. I opted to route the cable into the big storage compartment so that I can leave my ipod in the compartment Worked out pretty good
Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

Just got an USASPEC PA15-AcuXL for my 08 RDX. I want to route the cable into my center armrest area. Does anyone know what I need to do in order to properly route the cable in there? What is the best way and can I get it into the center armrest area without cutting a hole?

Thanks all!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

JFive23, I tried to respond to your PM but I guess I'm still on probation so can't send PM yet.
Anyway, not sure what you mean by the center armrest area? If you want to route the cable into the storage compartment under the armrest, you'll need to drill a hole some where to pass the cable through. There is no avoiding that.
The plug for the cable is pretty big, and I didn't want to drill such a big hole, so what I did was I took the light out, then I slotted a hole(diameter of the hole is just big enough for the cable) right next to the light hole so I can pass the plug through, then I left enough cable so that there is enough to leave the ipod out by the stereo if I wanted to. Then I re-installed the light.
The only potential problem with this setup is that the light is always on whenever the headlights are on. So, that area might get super hot, maybe even hot enough to melt the cable. My guess is that I won't have any problems since I didn't mess with the light enclosure(and the enclosure should prevent any melting wire). But, on my car, that bulb is currently burnt out and I haven't replaced it yet so I can't tell you whether it really gets that hot or not. I might see if I can replace the bulb with an LED or something so that it doesn't get as hot...or I might just leave the bulb out, or, I might install a switch so that the light will turn off when the lid is closed...haven't decided what to do yet.
anyway, I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them here so you can see how I installed it
Old 01-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Intermediate

Ok here are some pics

1) Showing how the cable is routed

2) Shows how the hole was slotted

3) Cable does not affect the operation of the divider
Old 03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
wib
3rd Gear

I simple gateway

I ordered the proclip left side adapter for my iphone4 and the swivel mount. It was a breeze to install. Took all of 5 minutes.

Then had the isimple gateway installed at best buy. This was also smooth. I can use the ipod controller mode (ipod) on the dash which shows song titles etc on the nav screen. Or my preferred is the AUX 1 setting where the steering wheel controls change the song track and artwork etc shows on the ipod itself. (this mode also allows audio from your other aps as far as I can tell.)

One thing which tripped me up-> if you want to switch between modes (ipod/aux1/sat) you need to hit "fm/am"--> then "xm" then use the tune arrow to set which mode you want to be in. This tripped me up for 10 mins because the instructions are not Nav radio specific. From what I can tell you can also cycle the mode on the steering wheel controls by: when you hit mode and land on "sat" (or the xm bit), for a few seconds the channel up and down will scroll from Sat->ipod-->Aux1/Aux2. Then it "sets" and in aux1 the channel up and down then controls the track. Pretty easy for me.

One thing to note is that I have the bumper case. The isimple cord that came in my box was too bulky to fit. I just dremmeled it down to the right size. Still works... but you end up taking quite a bit of material to make it small enough.

I have a 2008 RDX tech (nav).

I previously owned a 2006 TL and had the older version of the isimple. (I installed that one myself-- what a pain in the a$$... then I put it in an inaccesable place so that when I had to update the firmware... well you get the idea.

Summary: Proclip left side mount, tilt and swivel, isimple gateway from best buy (best buy installed.) Iphone4 with bumper, dremmel down the cord. I use aux1.

If you have any questions please ask.
I found some nice pics and descriptions here so I thought I'd share.

Thanks for the help, I have a great system now.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Nice...... Now show us
Old 03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

Question for the people that has the USA-Spec PA15-ACUxl installed in their car.
Does your ipod/iphone charging symbol show up when it is plugged in to the PA15?
I recently installed the PA15-ACUxl in my RDX and I'm noticing that when I plug in my iphone and my ipod classic, the charging symbol is not showing up so I think my device is not being charged.
Just wondering if my PA15 might be defective
Please let me know. thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear

USA Spec iPod Adapter

Thanks everyone for posting information & instructions about the iPod adapters available for the RDX. After reading, I'm still a little unclear about whether pressing the track up/down button on the steering wheel changes the track on the ipod (vs. having to hold it down) using the USA Spec adapter. Anyone tried it out?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pwu_1
Question for the people that has the USA-Spec PA15-ACUxl installed in their car.
Does your ipod/iphone charging symbol show up when it is plugged in to the PA15?
I recently installed the PA15-ACUxl in my RDX and I'm noticing that when I plug in my iphone and my ipod classic, the charging symbol is not showing up so I think my device is not being charged.
Just wondering if my PA15 might be defective
Please let me know. thanks
I think so. I remember that my USA Spec unit for my Infiniti was defective out of the box. It played music fine for the first few minutes and then it would become really soft and the charging icon would never show up. After getting a replacement unit, all was well. Hope that helps.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tux0010
Thanks everyone for posting information & instructions about the iPod adapters available for the RDX. After reading, I'm still a little unclear about whether pressing the track up/down button on the steering wheel changes the track on the ipod (vs. having to hold it down) using the USA Spec adapter. Anyone tried it out?

Thanks.
On my 2007 RDX with tech package, pushing the track up button on the steering wheel(not holding it down) advances to the next track.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pwu_1
On my 2007 RDX with tech package, pushing the track up button on the steering wheel(not holding it down) advances to the next track.
Perfect! Thank you so much!!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to give a quick thanks to those of you (especially Brizey) who provided info on the USASPEC PA15-AcuXL. Thanks to Brizey's install "How To" I followed his exact method and was up and running in 20 minutes. It works great!!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Intermediate

Just picked up and installed the NEO Prolink 2.0 POD2HONR4V1 for my 2009 non-tech RDX. I had a tough time finding any instructions or feedback on the unit for use in a non tech (Base) RDX but the instructions in threads that I did find were similar enough.

I dropped out the glove box to access the XM/Sirius unit. It's located on the far right behind the glove box (essentially the last connector). Pulled that, plugged it into the Prolink wire, plugged the prolink into the Sirius unit and ran a quick test - worked like a charm.

Kept the unit in the glove box with the cables tucked behind neatly (I used some zap straps to make sure they don't move). Pulled the carpeting away from the centre console to run the wire for my iPhone as to conceal it a little better but not really required. You can leave all the cabling in the glove box if that suits your fancy.

One thing I can't seem to get working though is to have Sat radio still play - mind you, there are jumpers on the Prolink that would probably allow this - I just don't have/listen to sat radio to care to try. I only have the preview channel atm.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 AM
3rd Gear

unkown ipod adapter

I recently purchased a 2008 rdx with tech package, and i believe the previous owner added an ipod adapter. The cord is located in the glove box and the acura logo appears on the ipod screen. I can play music from the ipod and change the tracks using the buttons on the dash as well as the channel button on the steering wheel. On the Nav screen it only says "extension" and the top dash display only shows the track number. The cd buttons 5 & 6 also changes the tracks or it could be changing the album or playlist, i have no clue. I dont know the make of the ipod adapter. The songs play in a random order. Can anyone help me with this. I've tried other newer models of ipods and its the sames story. Sorry i dont have anymore information, but feel free to ask me any questions that could help solve this problem.

thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 PM
6th Gear

This has been a great discussion. It's been more than two years since this started, but does anyone know if the USA-Spec PA15-ACU XL has Bluetooth capabilities? Would like to install this on my 2008 TL. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Rokform case for my iPhone and its great because of the mount it has.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-29-2015, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

So, has this 2009 honda usb/ipod integration worked?