What iPod adapter to choose (Neo, USASpec, Dice) ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That would be awesome if you still have both XM 1 and 2 when the iPod wasn't connected. I assumed that XM1 was gone for good with the addition of the USA Spec. In fact, I'm thinking it is because I'm not sure how you can get XM stations when you've literally unhooked that cable from XM1 to connect the USA Spec. But I hope I'm wrong.

Also, I'm assuming that when I connect my iPhone to play music that it automatically stops if someone calls me and I use the HF bluetooth connection to take the call, then it continues playing when I hang up?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phoward_15
That would be awesome if you still have both XM 1 and 2 when the iPod wasn't connected. I assumed that XM1 was gone for good with the addition of the USA Spec. In fact, I'm thinking it is because I'm not sure how you can get XM stations when you've literally unhooked that cable from XM1 to connect the USA Spec. But I hope I'm wrong.

Also, I'm assuming that when I connect my iPhone to play music that it automatically stops if someone calls me and I use the HF bluetooth connection to take the call, then it continues playing when I hang up?
You don't unhook the XM module--the USA Spec module connects to both the head unit and the XM module--it sits between them. So when there is no iPod, the USA Spec module allows the XM module to function normally. Basically, the USA Spec module is a piggyback module that intercepts and replaces signals between the head unit and the XM module.

The iPod pauses for phone calls. This is possibly the best feature of all for me since I listen to audiobooks on the iPod.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catnippants
Hey Brizey - what if you don't have an iPod/iPhone connected? Do you get the XM1 presets back, or do they stay reserved for when you plug in the iPod/iPhone?

Mike
You get the presets back. I had all my presets on XM2 for some reason, but I just tested it and the XM1 presets come back when you disconnect the iPod.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Pro

Brizey - I'm going to personally tell USA Spec to give you a royalty check for all your hard work. :-)

Thanks again. It's nice to know that when you don't have the iPhone hooked up you can get all 12 XM stations back.

Thanks for checking.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Brizey - I'm going to personally tell USA Spec to give you a royalty check for all your hard work. :-)

Thanks again. It's nice to know that when you don't have the iPhone hooked up you can get all 12 XM stations back.

Thanks for checking.
No big deal. This is just something that I have been waiting for, and so I assume others have been, too.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Is this the same model I need for a 07 Acura TL-S? Also where is the hook up in my car?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Pro

Pimpin-tl - It depends on whether you have a Nav or not. Go to this site - http://www.mp3carpros.com/product_in...roducts_id=208 - and it should show a list of USA Spec products for your car, if not just do a search at the top. Just select the product that describes your car and it's that easy. In the description it'll tell you where to install the device and how to do it.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

Thanks man. I just noticed I was in the RDX section! Sorry about that!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Pro

No problem Pimpin...we won't think any less of you for having a TL instead of a RDX....ha ha ha...just kidding!

We're all Acura fans!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Safety Car

I just ordered mine.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Pro

OK Brizey...one more question.

I just received the goods - USA Spec PA15-ACUxl.

I'm getting it installed next week but my question is that I just connected the cable to my iPhone (just because I wanted to make sure it connected ok) and when I did I got the message "This device is not made to work with iPhone. Would you like to turn on Airplane Mode...." Did you get that message as well?

All of the packaging says it's compatible with the iPhone and I believe it's the exact same unit as yours. Any thoughts? Maybe I won't get that message when its fully integrated with the system?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 04-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

OK Brizey...one more question.

I just received the goods - USA Spec PA15-ACUxl.

I'm getting it installed next week but my question is that I just connected the cable to my iPhone (just because I wanted to make sure it connected ok) and when I did I got the message "This device is not made to work with iPhone. Would you like to turn on Airplane Mode...." Did you get that message as well?

All of the packaging says it's compatible with the iPhone and I believe it's the exact same unit as yours. Any thoughts? Maybe I won't get that message when its fully integrated with the system?

Thanks,
Paul
I never plugged in my iPod (I have a 1st gen touch) without having it installed. Lucky for me the RDX is a lot easier than the sedans. I bet it needs to be powered on via the head unit or the XM module.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:36 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
I just ordered the USASpec PA15-ACUxl from Pacific Stereo...Not sure if anyone has ordered from them. I'll let ya'll know if i have any issues with them. Should be here Fri..
Old 04-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Question while i wait for delivery...

Any of you guys have any digital copies of new movies on your iPhones/iPods? If you play it while connected, does it play in Dolby Digital like the DVD-A?

....I'm wondering if an iPad would be a simple road trip video solution...
Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

Dang, mine just got here! That is fast service!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 PM

...got any digital copies of movies on your ipod/phone?? ...test for Dolby Digital!!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigHatch
...got any digital copies of movies on your ipod/phone?? ...test for Dolby Digital!!
Since it hijacks XM1 and flows through the XM receiver, I'd be REALLY surprised if it supported 5.1. Dolby Pro Logic II maybe, but probably not DD...

Mike
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM

I'm hoping... I mean i'd imagine the sound processor is in the head unit and DVD-A supports it.. then again, i do recall someone posting that if no discs were inserted it would hijack the CD control...if all else fails.

i guess time will tell...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Pro

I'm hoping... I mean i'd imagine the sound processor is in the head unit and DVD-A supports it.. then again, i do recall someone posting that if no discs were inserted it would hijack the CD control...if all else fails.

i guess time will tell...
I guess time will tell as you say, but true 5.1 sound is not just processed out of a 2 channel stereo signal like Dolby Surround or ProLogic. Dolby Digital is 6 DISCRETE channels. If the XM receiver is only feeding two channels to the head unit (which I suspect it is), then there's no way for the head unit to recreate the 6 separate channels.

Mike
Old 04-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I guess time will tell as you say, but true 5.1 sound is not just processed out of a 2 channel stereo signal like Dolby Surround or ProLogic. Dolby Digital is 6 DISCRETE channels. If the XM receiver is only feeding two channels to the head unit (which I suspect it is), then there's no way for the head unit to recreate the 6 separate channels.

Mike
Is the iPod capable of 5.1 output?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Pro

Brizey - no it's not. You can play it on the audio system and set it up to play out of your 5.1 system but it won't be a true 5.1 experience as it doesn't have the output to do so.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 AM

I don't even know if the digital copies are in 5.1

I've never had the opportunity to even load one.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 PM

Brizey - no it's not. You can play it on the audio system and set it up to play out of your 5.1 system but it won't be a true 5.1 experience as it doesn't have the output to do so.
...dang... oh well
Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

That's what I thought, but was too lazy to google. I have never seen a digital audio adapter for the iPod, so I figured it was a no go. (Plus all of the video conversion software out there always uses a two channel mix-down for audio).
Old 04-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Pro

Yeah....plus like BigHatch said...the file would have be set up to produce 5.1 sound which, from what I know, none of the music files in iTunes are formatted in true 5.1 surround sound.

The closest you can probably get to it is ripping a soundtrack from a 5.1 DVD and then burning it to a CD.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:24 PM

well pacific stereo shipped me the unit, no issues at all.

All inclusive, everything was packed and cushioned well. Price was nice.

sure was a tight squeeze to get at that connector though.. had to have a buddy with smaller hands get it out.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

well pacific stereo shipped me the unit, no issues at all.

All inclusive, everything was packed and cushioned well. Price was nice.

sure was a tight squeeze to get at that connector though.. had to have a buddy with smaller hands get it out.
I just barely could get it. Almost called my wife out to the garage.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Pro

Well to close out my end of the discussion I finally got the USA Spec installed when I took my car in for a B1 service. They did a great job of putting the USB cord where I wanted it in the arm rest. I know I could have done it but why waste my valuable time. :-) The sound is excellent and it does everything I hoped for.

While this was all going on I got a 2010 Tech TSX for a loaner. A nice little car but I thought it could have used a little more punch. Though I am use to the RDX and turbo. But I did thought it handled very nicely.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Pro

Well to close out my end of the discussion I finally got the USA Spec installed when I took my car in for a B1 service. They did a great job of putting the USB cord where I wanted it in the arm rest. I know I could have done it but why waste my valuable time. :-) The sound is excellent and it does everything I hoped for.

While this was all going on I got a 2010 Tech TSX for a loaner. A nice little car but I thought it could have used a little more punch. Though I am use to the RDX and turbo. But I did thought it handled very nicely.
Do you mind if I ask how much they charged you to do the work? Also, did you specify where you wanted the USASpec module, or did they just pick a place for it?

I assume by USB cord, you mean the iPod connector. I'd love to have one of these things that just terminated in a USB female port...then I could use an iPod or any other USB harddrive as the source.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Pro

It was $125 for them to install. I know it's a rip off but to be honest I didn't want to hassle with it and if anything goes wrong I can just take it back to them. I told them where I wanted the cord to go and they said no problem. They would have put it anywhere I had asked. Once it was all hooked up they showed me how to work it (not that it's really hard), made sure that it did everything it promised (i.e. like pause song while accepting a phone-call or making one), and then sent me on my way.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Pro

OK, this is a question specifically to those who have the USA Spec installed.

I've been playing around with the system and have found that no matter if I listen to the music via All Songs/Playlists/Genre/etc it will always play the songs in alpha order by song name. It does not play the songs in shuffle mode. I switched over to direct mode to find out that the USA Spec turns off my shuffle mode and turns on repeat all. Is there any way to change this when you're listening via All Songs/Playlists/etc? It's going to be really annoying if I have to listen to all of my songs in order every single time. The only way around it, that I've found so far, is going to direct mode which defeats the entire purpose of having the data show up on the Nav screen because it doesn't.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

OK, this is a question specifically to those who have the USA Spec installed.

I've been playing around with the system and have found that no matter if I listen to the music via All Songs/Playlists/Genre/etc it will always play the songs in alpha order by song name. It does not play the songs in shuffle mode. I switched over to direct mode to find out that the USA Spec turns off my shuffle mode and turns on repeat all. Is there any way to change this when you're listening via All Songs/Playlists/etc? It's going to be really annoying if I have to listen to all of my songs in order every single time. The only way around it, that I've found so far, is going to direct mode which defeats the entire purpose of having the data show up on the Nav screen because it doesn't.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
Press and hold on preset two (middle on the left) to toggle shuffle.

Press and hold preset three (top on the left) for fast rewind.

Press and hold preset four (top on the right) for fast forward.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Pro

It was $125 for them to install. I know it's a rip off but to be honest I didn't want to hassle with it and if anything goes wrong I can just take it back to them. I told them where I wanted the cord to go and they said no problem. They would have put it anywhere I had asked. Once it was all hooked up they showed me how to work it (not that it's really hard), made sure that it did everything it promised (i.e. like pause song while accepting a phone-call or making one), and then sent me on my way.
$125 doesn't sound too bad to me...but I'm lazy too and don't want to deal with the hassle. Was this at your Acura dealer? I just never thought to ask my dealer to do custom work...

Mike
Old 04-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Pro

Brizey - thank you very much. I just realized that is in the manual. I just became my own pet peeve. I hate it when that happens.

Catnippants - Yes that was my Acura dealer. They were the ones that recommended the unit and the site I ordered it from. It's Herb Connolly Acura in Framingham, MA. Great dealership and service.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Pro

Ok I've read the manual on this thing (without ordering yet), and I need one specific question answered before I order.

When in folder mode, if I press preset 6 (Genre), what happens? Based on your prior posts, I'm assuming that the first Genre shows up at the top, and you scroll through them using left and right joystick movements. Does the first song in the Genre start playing, then you scroll through the songs using +/- on the steering wheel? Does that mean when selecting via Genre, you have no way to switch between album or artist - you only get to scroll through a list of songs?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok I've read the manual on this thing (without ordering yet), and I need one specific question answered before I order.

When in folder mode, if I press preset 6 (Genre), what happens? Based on your prior posts, I'm assuming that the first Genre shows up at the top, and you scroll through them using left and right joystick movements. Does the first song in the Genre start playing, then you scroll through the songs using +/- on the steering wheel? Does that mean when selecting via Genre, you have no way to switch between album or artist - you only get to scroll through a list of songs?
I have never used genre--my music is too unorganized for that to be effective. I think the answer is yes.

What you are looking for is multiple criteria selection, and unless there is a way I do not know of, this thing does not do it. I think you can only select one selection criteria (genre, album, playlist, or artist), select a set of songs based on the criteria, then scroll though those songs.

Even the native touch interface cannot do multiple selections.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Pro

Yeah...that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'm out then. What do you mean by 'native touch interface'?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah...that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'm out then. What do you mean by 'native touch interface'?
Nevermind. I used the genre function for the first time in over two years tonight to see what you are getting at. It does drill down by artist. And I confirmed my suspicion that with my collection the genre function is pretty much worthless. It would take me years to clean it up enough to make it useful.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Pro

Brizey - Instead of using Genre why don't you just create a Smart Playlist that will automatically organize your music based on simple search functionality. That way you can play a "playlist of a genre" instead of playing by "genre." That's what I do.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Pro

Yeah - the iphone/itouch interface allows you to drill down from genre to artist to album, etc...hierarchically. With MP3 CDs, I do this with subdirectories, and it works great. It's that interface that I really want - and it sounds like the USA Spec interface doesn't allow this.

In the USA Spec manual, it mentions that you can use the XM interface or the CD changer interface - but doesn't say how they differ (other than no text in the upper display with the CD interface). Have you tried using the CD interface mode? How does it differ?

Quick Reply: What iPod adapter to choose (Neo, USASpec, Dice) ?