What iPod adapter to choose (Neo, USASpec, Dice) ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Ukrainian RDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What iPod adapter to choose (Neo, USASpec, Dice) ?

Please advise what adapter to use for I could not finalize while studying the forum and the competitive offers from various companies.

I cut the Acura Music Link for it's obsolete & almost useless, but Neo Prolink, Dice Car Kit and USA Spec are worth some attention.

In fact it's much cheaper to use the simple Cable-to-Go 3.5mm to iPod Dock cable, but I want to see the song titles on my XM display and AFAIK Dice adapter has an option like that. The next very important thing is an operating an iPod both from radio controls & from the player itself. Dice also features the best price and has very detailed instructions, but Neo Carlink has a lot of positive regards from the "happy users".

So please help with the dilemma

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Ukrainian RDX

Does anybody has just ANY idea regarding this matter ? Please advise for I'm going to order the adapters & still haven't seen any user opinion on displaying tags from iPod. Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Racer

Since you asked for absolutely any opinion, here is mine. I would love to see ipod song titles on the nav display, but all those adapters appear to be incompatible with XM and I don't want to give that up. So I just got a ipod line-out to mini-stereo cable for about $5.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Ukrainian RDX

Originally Posted by johnny99
Since you asked for absolutely any opinion, here is mine. I would love to see ipod song titles on the nav display, but all those adapters appear to be incompatible with XM and I don't want to give that up. So I just got a ipod line-out to mini-stereo cable for about $5.
Thanks, Johny. The last hope is that Dice works correctly with an iPod. The user 'flags' has one installed on his RDX. In case not I'll opt for the Cables-To-Go 5$ adapter
Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Azzie
Thanks, Johny. The last hope is that Dice works correctly with an iPod. The user 'flags' has one installed on his RDX. In case not I'll opt for the Cables-To-Go 5$ adapter
I've installed the Dice I-Honda-R4 in my 2008 RDX w/ tech. It's a very easy install, and you dont lose control of the device. I also wanted my iPhone mounted on teh dash, so I went with a proclip adapter as well.

This allowed me to mount the Dice iPhone/iPod dock to it. It's now mounted directly to the left of the NAV display unit.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jimmypop - Just to clarify then the Dice iPod adapter works with the iPhone? Does it also display the artist, song, album, etc. on the nav screen if you were to hit the "Aux" button?

Right now I have the Cables To Go adapter and don't want to purchase one of these more iPod adapaters until they've figured out a way to do that.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by phoward_15
Jimmypop - Just to clarify then the Dice iPod adapter works with the iPhone? Does it also display the artist, song, album, etc. on the nav screen if you were to hit the "Aux" button?

Right now I have the Cables To Go adapter and don't want to purchase one of these more iPod adapaters until they've figured out a way to do that.

Thanks,
Paul
The Nav screen only shows "Extension" when it's active as the audio input. I imagine if you wanted to hide your ipod in your glovebox or armrest storage, seeing the name on the nav would be important, but it's not for me, since the iPhone is very visible and right next to the nav screen. If I wanted it to show up there, I would have had to get the i-Honda-R3, which replaces the SAT input in the back of the audio deck. Besides, the iPhone has a nice big display, album art etc that the NAV display just wont ever do.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Ukrainian RDX

Thanks, Jimmy. There is still NO answer to a question does the Dice Adapter really shows tags & allows to operate iPod at once. I suppose not.

Here is the link to BMW forum link that features several videos of Dice in action. Pretty nice I'd say. Looks more preferrable than Neo Carlink.

And here is Dice User Manual (PDF). It doesn't give an answer either...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Azzie
Thanks, Jimmy. There is still NO answer to a question does the Dice Adapter really shows tags & allows to operate iPod at once. I suppose not.

Here is the link to BMW forum link that features several videos of Dice in action. Pretty nice I'd say. Looks more preferrable than Neo Carlink.

And here is Dice User Manual (PDF). It doesn't give an answer either...
I have a Dice i-audi-R that I had in my Audi A4, and was previously using that with my iPod nano. I still had complete control of the iPod while it was connected. My wife has the USA-Spec model in her Civic Hybrid, and it locks out the iPod interface. Does that answer your question?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Cruisin'

I think you might be asking something I answered in a previous post though, and that with the I-Honda-R3, you will see the iPod Artist, Title, Album and maybe in the XM display menu on the NAV display. The only problem is that you no longer can have the XM Sat radio connected.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Ukrainian RDX

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimmypop
I think you might be asking something I answered in a previous post though, and that with the I-Honda-R3, you will see the iPod Artist, Title, Album and maybe in the XM display menu on the NAV display. The only problem is that you no longer can have the XM Sat radio connected.
Thanks, mate! In fact I'm in Ukraine & there is no sat radio over Europe AFAIK. So I can live w/o XM

The main question is whether one can use iPod controls while it displays Artist, Title, Album etc via XM display ??
Old 06-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Cruisin'

Dice

Im looking into purchasing one soon, will i be a ble to control the IPod using the steering wheel controls?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Ukrainian RDX

Originally Posted by Ed10
Im looking into purchasing one soon, will i be a ble to control the IPod using the steering wheel controls?
You'll be able to control iPod with just ANY adapter You choose, but there are very few, that allows the simultaneos operation (both from car stereo & iPod).
Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Ukrainian RDX

DICE: Apple iPod compatible integration kit for Acura
Old 06-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Cruisin'

Talking Dice

thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Ukrainian RDX

Here's what one mate from our AcuraClub has got with the Dice Silverline R4 installed. It should come with the "Y" harness. iPod will remain locked out and you have full control from the radio (this can be opted via Dice deepswitches). The XM satellite radio must be disconnected in order to get the text to display on the radio.

I'd like to report about one very interesting adapter developed by Coastal Electronics called HONDA ACURA IPOD LOCKPICK. It has the same features as the Dice has, but also allows "on-the-fly" switching between tag display & no iPod controls and no display & full iPod controls. I find this very convenient.

Manual: http://www.coastaletech.com/media/HO...D_LOCKPICK.pdf
Old 07-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Cruisin'

I went to that link, and was mortified that their site is stuck in 1992.

Flashing text is inexcusable... though on the fly switching is intriguing.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:23 AM
Ukrainian RDX

Yep, their site sucks and they don't ship outside the continental U.S. & don't support PayPal

BUT... the things they call the "lockpicks" do the miracles with Toyotas & Lexuses. That's why I'll try to believe them & find the way to get myself their adapter.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Has anyone tried installing the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play? While I'd rather have everything come up on the Nav screen, it doesn't look like there is anything on the market that will duplicate the look of an ipod on the nav screen. This is particularily disappointing because the iDrive-like controller would seem to be perfectly suited to mimicking the way an ipod functions.

The Drive + Play would add another screen and clutter up the dash a little but it would function a lot more like an ipod that anything else that's out there right now.

I think I might go this way, but I am unsure about what the type of aux input is used in the RDX Tech. I don't want to use inferior FM transmission or the mini jack in the front. What type of input does the DICE use (pics would be really appreciated)?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Ukrainian RDX

Why should one use all these

when there is ONE cheap cable or elegant solution with the stock RDX display? Maybe You can get video output from Drive+Play & then arrange it to Navi screen. Dunno.

Take a look at the Dice manual here in this thread.

An auxilliary input is... emm... always an auxilliary input, the low-level one I suppose. Do you know many varieties of those?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Azzie: I don't like the limited information that a DICE puts on the screen - it really is quite lame and nowhere near what an ipod looks like or functions like. Having come from a Kenwood DNX5120, with its fantastic ipod GUI, I simply cannot accept that the DICE is the best we can do.

p.s. I don't mean to vent in your direction Azzie, I'm just pissed in general that with seeming half of the world owning ipods, that Acura or some aftermarket vendor hasn't figured out how to output an ipod to a factory nav screen properly (such as Kenwood has or Pioneer, which is really out front with ipod voice control).

I think that the resolution that is put out by the Drive+Play's brain unit would be too low on our screen. It's a good idea though - in fact I really wish DICE or some company like that would have looked into using a brain unit like the Harmon Kardon one.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Azzie, thanks for pointing me in the direction of the DICE installation manual.

From the instructions it looks like the DICE is hooked up to the stereo via a BUS connector. Is this the same connector to which the music link is hooked up to?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:45 AM
Ukrainian RDX

I'm in a grave doubt that anyone in the aftermarket will do anything better that Dice or Lockpick just because they all use the default BUS connector same as the Acura Music Link do but offer a bit more rich functionality.

That's why I'm just using iPod with it's own controls & display connected via line-out to aux-in in RDX. Why having one more EXTRA display?

The think I'd really like is to have iPod display shown via it's video output. This way we could connect it to just any display TV or smth. Got the idea? But it's not possible AFAIK.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Ukrainian RDX

So far I purchased iPod Lockpick by Coastal eTech and got it installed. It was really easy but still they should give a some more inches of cable to connect adapter to the factory radio. I had no other option than to stick it to the bottom of the radio by sticky tape. Not so good but no other option. Still the adapter-to-iPod cable is rather long, it has 5~6 ft, so it does not really matter where the Lockpick module is located.

So now Pros & Cons:
+ charges iPod (incompatible w/Nano 4th gen, not sure about iPhone 3G)
+ displays tags (artist/title) on the little display (the climate one, RDX Tech)
+ sounds just PERFECT even comparing to iPod line-out -> AUX cable
+ switches easily on-the-fly from advanced radio control w/text or simple mode with all functions restored to the iPod

- every time I start ignition iPod+XM radio turn on
- Tune Up/Down buttons are used for changing songs while the steering wheel has only Channel Up/Down
- the Lockpick turns Shuffle off & Repeat on by default

Here is their manual

Still I like the way it works & the way my iPod sounds now. It's just perfect for RDX.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
- every time I start ignition iPod+XM radio turn on

Azzie, what exactly do you mean? If you were listening to the CD player or radio when you turned off the ignition and then you strated the car again it automatically switches to the iPod?

- Tune Up/Down buttons are used for changing songs while the steering wheel has only Channel Up/Down

If you use the steering wheel ch up/dwn what does this do?

- the Lockpick turns Shuffle off & Repeat on by default
Can you explain how this affects the averall experience ( i'm not an iPod user yet)

I am also looking at an Ipod interface and like the text feature of the Lockpic!!
Before i was looking at the Neo But i want the text from sat radion too!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

I just bought an 07 rdx w/ tech. In the past I have had great success using peripherial electronics adapters, they generally run about 129 and allow you ipod to be displayed and controlled by the vehicles audio system. Install is easy if you take your time. All parts are 'plug and play'. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Cruisin'

Ipod adapter

Hello to all,

I have an 2007 RDX / Tech.

I am looking to play, control, charge, and display my ipod through the radio without loosing any of the current functions. (XM, Bluetooth, etc.) I would also like to add HD radio.
Does anyone have firsthand experience with this equipment?

I have looked at the info on the lockpick and others but I find it very confusing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Howard
Old 01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Pro

From what I know none of the 3 will display your iPod info on the nav/audio screen (unless you disable the XM and use that connection - then I think it works but not sure). As for everything else (play, control, charge, etc) all 3 do that well.

I'm not sure about HD radio.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
This one will retain all info and use of controls!!!!

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1116
Old 02-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by wspy
This one will retain all info and use of controls!!!!

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1116
Does anyone actually have this installed in their RDX or any car? This sounds like it has everything and surprisingly it's cheaper than all other devices that don't do some of the stuff it says.

It's interesting because in the main descriptor it says it is compatibale with rear-seat entertainment then in the exclusions at the bottom it says it isn't.

1. All Honda/Acura Radio must have an "XM" button (except Civic) to be compatible. See below
2. Not compatible in vehicles equipped with Rear Seat Entertainment.
3. 2007-2008 Acura TL / TL Type-S equipped with Nav traffic are not compatible.

Last edited by phoward_15; 02-03-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

Im trying my own thing to get XM + iPod + Nav Display (Artist, Song, etc...) and I'll let you know if it works or if its an epic failure.

Basically I picked up the 2009 Honda FIT USB/iPod integration kit and I'm going to try to gerry-rig it into my 2009 Acura RDX Tech.

Hopefully it will work, as I understand it everything uses a standard interface to the back of the Audio HU and it deals with it after that. I don't have the Honda/Acura Y-Splitter so I'm going to try it directly in-line first and if that works I'll grab a Y-Splitter someplace.

Worse case scenario I loose the $75 bucks its cost for the USB adapter and I re-ebay it. I would assume that the integration across cars is pretty standard to reduce costs, but who knows. I'll keep you posted.

- SK
Old 02-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Cruisin'

I installed the PXAMG with HD radio option in my 2008 RDX 2 weeks ago, and have been very pleased with the result. I get direct control of the ipod to see on the Nav unit, and the display above the nav. I can use the AUX setting and control the music, or Pandora, or Slacker from my iPhone itself. I get charging of the iPhone with the adapter--with the new 5v USB cord. The HD Radio works very well in downtown Portland, and much cleaner than FM. It connects directly to the RDX powered antenna. Most of the stations transmit tags for the songs, and those that don't can be Shazam-ed by my iPhone to identify songs i care about. My iPhone sits on a proclip adapter to the right of the shifter.

I did the install myself and the modules fit easily behind the glovebox. The console comes apart surprisingly easily, and I got nimble at doing it to trouble shoot it over a few days. It probably takes 15-20 minutes to adjust now. It was slower the first time. There were pitfalls in the install that I could share, but generally pretty simple with the direction on the DIY forum and hondaacuraworld.

I would highly recommend it. I got it from autotoys, and they were good to work with and replaced an initially defective 5volt cable...though a little slow to deliver initially around Christmas.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3wiv3uCEL0

this looks like the ticket!!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by PdxRdx
I installed the PXAMG with HD radio option in my 2008 RDX 2 weeks ago, and have been very pleased with the result. I get direct control of the ipod to see on the Nav unit, and the display above the nav. I can use the AUX setting and control the music, or Pandora, or Slacker from my iPhone itself. I get charging of the iPhone with the adapter--with the new 5v USB cord. The HD Radio works very well in downtown Portland, and much cleaner than FM. It connects directly to the RDX powered antenna. Most of the stations transmit tags for the songs, and those that don't can be Shazam-ed by my iPhone to identify songs i care about. My iPhone sits on a proclip adapter to the right of the shifter.

I did the install myself and the modules fit easily behind the glovebox. The console comes apart surprisingly easily, and I got nimble at doing it to trouble shoot it over a few days. It probably takes 15-20 minutes to adjust now. It was slower the first time. There were pitfalls in the install that I could share, but generally pretty simple with the direction on the DIY forum and hondaacuraworld.

I would highly recommend it. I got it from autotoys, and they were good to work with and replaced an initially defective 5volt cable...though a little slow to deliver initially around Christmas.
That's odd. i just installed this in my wife's car and i can not get any audio to display on the nav screen. Not with the ipod nor cd's but i do get that functionality if i returned it to stock.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Cruisin'

I had the same problem initially. It took more than a few minutes to initialize the first time, then I couldn't figure out how to get the info to update on the display. I searched the net, and realized I hadn't used the display button to toggle the display. Push it a few times and it cycles the info.

The interface and starting it up was not intuitive at first, but now that I've got the hang of it... it's excellent.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Pro

Would this work well with the now nav screen?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Cruisin'

Not sure I follow, but works great on my 2008 RDX Nav screen.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Pro

Something wrong with my brain - I meant non-nav screen (as in the base RDX).
Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Cruisin'

Question

I'm not sure about that.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by PdxRdx
I had the same problem initially. It took more than a few minutes to initialize the first time, then I couldn't figure out how to get the info to update on the display. I searched the net, and realized I hadn't used the display button to toggle the display. Push it a few times and it cycles the info.

The interface and starting it up was not intuitive at first, but now that I've got the hang of it... it's excellent.
thanks for the reply.

i have a feeling that it's a matter of my wife's rdx being a 2007 as opposed to the interface not working properly. i pretty much have lost the ability to use the voice control for anything after installing the isimple. pushing the "audio" button on the nav control doesn't do anything anymore either. all else works fine. i can get into the HD audio menu and Ipod just fine. just can't control it the way i wish i could.

Quick Reply: What iPod adapter to choose (Neo, USASpec, Dice) ?