Radio and Lighter are not working.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:52 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio and Lighter are not working.

I have a 1997 CL 3.0. Last night my radio and cigarette lighter both stopped working. It happened right after I used a spliter to power a GPS and Sirius radio. Now the cigarette lighter doesn't work and the radio will not power up. The Radio's anti-theft light is blinking.

I assumed it was just a blown fuse since both the lighter and radio aren't working. However, I just checked all of the fuses under the stearing wheel as other posts had recomended. And all the fuses are good (I even replaced the radio/audio aplifier fuse with a spare just in case).

Any suggestions before I take the car to the dealer and get raped? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much for anyone who can recomend a course of action or solution.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:10 PM
B A N N E D

Only two things I can think of, fuse, or the wire shorted. You shouldn't split things like that because the fuse is there to prevent fire, and can only handle so much current flowing through. Check the fuses under the hood too.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:39 PM
CLeanest in its CLass

check the fuses under the hood. theres another radio and small light fuse i think thats what its named anyway that one will also take out your radio.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by cyanucil
I have a 1997 CL 3.0. Last night my radio and cigarette lighter both stopped working. It happened right after I used a spliter to power a GPS and Sirius radio. Now the cigarette lighter doesn't work and the radio will not power up. The Radio's anti-theft light is blinking.

I assumed it was just a blown fuse since both the lighter and radio aren't working. However, I just checked all of the fuses under the stearing wheel as other posts had recomended. And all the fuses are good (I even replaced the radio/audio aplifier fuse with a spare just in case).

Any suggestions before I take the car to the dealer and get raped? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much for anyone who can recomend a course of action or solution.
I looked at my 97 2.5TL manual. Your car should be similar or same.

There are several possibilites. If you checked fuse no. 11 in the underdash fuse box and it's good, that would eliminate the fuse. Other possibilities are the cigarette lighter relay (under dash fuse box), and fuse 37 (15A) underhood fuse box. Cigarette lighter relay is unlikely since you have other components out. Fuse 37 seems likely since this feeds the relay drive coil and in series powers the stereo system.

Let us know what you find.

good luck
Old 12-09-2006, 10:58 AM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a radio and cig. lighter fuse under the hood.........seems like the culprit
Old 12-10-2006, 02:50 PM
5th Gear

Thumbs up Problem Solved!

Thank you to all who replied. It was just as many of you suggested. There was a blown fuse in the box under the hood. I fixed it with a spare fuse from the other box. So it did not cost me a dime! (I didn't even know about the fuse box under the hood.)

Thanks again, I'm certainly going to be posting my car problems to this board from now on before I take it to the shop. You all have been very helpful and I'm sure it saved me a pretty penny. Once I had the advice from this board it took about 2 minutes to fix!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
yea blown fuse. same thing happened to me.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
B A N N E D

Thank you to all who replied. It was just as many of you suggested. There was a blown fuse in the box under the hood. I fixed it with a spare fuse from the other box. So it did not cost me a dime! (I didn't even know about the fuse box under the hood.)

Thanks again, I'm certainly going to be posting my car problems to this board from now on before I take it to the shop. You all have been very helpful and I'm sure it saved me a pretty penny. Once I had the advice from this board it took about 2 minutes to fix!
Cool bro, glad thats all it was.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
10th Gear

Was the fuse after all

I had the same problem after I shorted the fuse with a broken adapter in my cigarette lighter, causing both my radio and my cigarette lighter not to work.

A quick trip to Pep Boys and installing a fresh 15 amp fuse into the under-the-hood fuse box fixed the problem. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:12 AM
Intermediate

Hi Everyone,

This problem as happened to me a few years back. My friend used my cigarette lighter and placed it back while the thing is still hot. Few seconds later, my radio went out. I replaced the fuse under the hood, but only my radio works and not the cigarette lighter. Till this day, I still haven't fix this problem because I don't use my cigarette light. But I would like it fix if possible.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your awesome postings.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 AM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just replace the lighter unit, i think they're like $5 for a new one.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 AM
Sounders FC

My lighter outlet wasn't working when I originally bought the car, but the inside had some mineral deposit buildup, so I took a screwdriver and scraped it off. Dunno if this is the case for you.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Cruisin'

Radio Not Working but Lighter is

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I looked at my 97 2.5TL manual. Your car should be similar or same.

There are several possibilites. If you checked fuse no. 11 in the underdash fuse box and it's good, that would eliminate the fuse. Other possibilities are the cigarette lighter relay (under dash fuse box), and fuse 37 (15A) underhood fuse box. Cigarette lighter relay is unlikely since you have other components out. Fuse 37 seems likely since this feeds the relay drive coil and in series powers the stereo system.

Let us know what you find.

good luck
I have a similar problem. My 98 CL 2.3L Radio quit all of a sudden. Found only fuse #11 under dash - no problem. Found 2 fuses in the engine compartment for Radio back up and Radio Lighter - all good. The anti-theft light is still blinking, but the radio is quiet no matter what I tried.

Please help anyone.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
just sounds like the radio is dead. The anti theft feature might work, but the player itself may have just finally let go.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:59 AM
1st Gear

What fuse was it?