Power Seat Repair

Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Seat Repair

Well, first of all thanks to Shoshinas_kids_CL. I picked up an old driver power seat he had sitting around for a great cheap price.

Mine was no longer moving forward, but all the other functions worked fine. As you may or may not know, to repair the power seat, Acura only sells the complete bottom seat assembly with all 4 motors etc. You have to pull the seat base all apart and swap everything over.

Well in looking at directions for the assembly swap, I thought, heck when I pick up Shosh's seat, I'll just clean it up and plug it in for now.

Well, I neglected to check that Shosh's seat was not the same as mine. I didn't know but I guess my car is a premium 3.0 and his is the 2.2. His seat had a manual function for seat tilt, but power base no heater.

SOO that means that his plugs and mine were totally different. So what do I do now. Well I pulled the adj switch from his seat and plug it into mine just to check and see if my switch was busted. His worked just llike mine, but no forward.

So I look at the assembly in both. Well what do you know, you can actually remove the assembly for just the forward/back motion and motor by itself. There are two "bitch pins" at the front of both seat rails that you can punch out. Once you do, there are two large bolts on the bottom of the mounts that keep them bolted to the worm screws. By removing these bolts, you can release the entire f/b assembly with the wormscrews.

I know, pics would help, but at this point i was frustrated and just trying to see what would work, plus I wouldnt have just done this to my seat, but having an extra helped.

Well got the assembly into my seat, plugged it in and voila! NOTHING. Assembly still moved back but not forward. WTF?!?!?

Well, now that I was familiar removing the assembly, my friend came up with an idea - remove the assembly again - AND MANUALLY MOVE THE MOUNT FURTHER FORWARD!

It's kind hard to describe, but the part that connects the seat mount to the assembly is a plastic piece that you have to screw down the worm screw connected to the motor.

Once you do that - and make sure they are even! - you can bolt it back in, move the seat back if needed - do it slowly cause if you go too far, you'll have to pull it apart again - then disconnect the front motor power plug to keep from accidentally moving the seat back.

This is the only ghetto repair I can think of without either -

A - buying a new seat (or used).
B - Installing an aftermarket seat
C - buying the replacement power assembly (by far the most expensive option).

It worked for me and i am no longer driving from the most rearward position.

I have some of the removed parts at home, I'll try to take pics if anyone needs them.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
sold!

i have the 2.3 premium seats, but only 3.0 has heated? not really sure. well hope everything works out bro! i didnt pick up any wheels from RB, he offered me vs-xx with tires for 1700, but i dont have that kind of money right now.. but i did a test fit and they look sick! anyway if you wanna trade grills let me know, ill drop like 20 on top of the trade!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Ahh no worries, like I said, it allowed me to pull apart a seat that i normally would not have.

What happened to the GTU's? Oh and did you ever find out how much for refinishing? Yeah I saw those VSXX, they are the bomb, but yeah, I didnt want to blow my budget on just those.

I actually decided to keep my grill, in pics it looks kinda funny, but in person, it's grown on me. If I change my mind I'll let you know.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:26 AM
sold!

yeah for sure! let me knoe about your grill. as for the wheels i didnt pick em up.. looked better in pics. and 50 bucks a wheel to refinish them.. so like 700 all in all. i rather spend 700 on 17's brand new!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced

$50 a wheel ain't bad, but yeah, total price if you weren't absolutely sold on them is too much. Actually any wheel that you're not really into is too much to pay.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:46 PM
6spder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so, both seats don't move forward? have u ruled out a electrial issue? ie no power to the motor?

also, have u thought about just pulling the motor out, the non working, and seeing if the working motor (to move the seat back) will fit in for the motor to move the seat forward?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Alper, it's just the driver side, pass is manual. Power goes to everything, cept move forward. Checked all the fuses and wiring. Motor works to move the seat back, just no forward.

Swapped just the motor in question, not the entire assembly. One motor for f/b. one for u/d rear, one for u/d front, one for recline.

No luck...
Old 12-06-2007, 02:36 PM
6spder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have u tried using the up/down motor, instead of the forward/back motor? or for that matter, giving the motor power, when its removed and see if it actually works? (or is that what u did?)
Old 12-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Advanced

I did the apply power to the motor seperately thing, but I didnt try using a motor from a different movement. I may have to try that as well then.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Advanced

I also think I may have another solution for the power front seat. I was looking around in the majestic honda website and found as you all know that the 94-97 honda accord seat is pretty much the same seat as ours.

Well since they offered two types - power and non, i looked up the parts for the seat assembly - it seems I may be able to just purchase the slider/tilt assembly for a manual driver seat and swap my seat cushions on.

It's about $200 for one assembly and like $70 for the other side, so i think I'll wait a little before I do this - but it's an option.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My seat has the exact same problem. Everything works on it but it wont move forward. Let us know if and how you fixed it!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:52 PM
10th Gear

If I am following this thread at all you are saying that the forwrad backward function has one motor. Is there a fuse for each direction...mine has the opposite issue...won't go back. If the motor runs the seat forward fine does that mean it is good for the reverse and th issue is a switch or fuse?
Old 02-29-2016, 06:44 AM
7th Gear

There is a $700 memory module under the seat. Has to do with the memory feature.