How do you remove the hard line protector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:45 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you remove the hard line protector?

My 1997 CL 2.2 has a hard line guard/organizer running down the driver's side under the car. I need to remove this to fix a fuel leak, but after removing all bolts from front to rear on both sides, I assumed the guard would just separate from the lines, but it hasn't. The guard is still attached at both ends and appears to have internal clips attaching it to the hard lines at the bolt points.

I'd like to keep this think intact as much as possible and replace it once I've made my repair, but it's vexing me.

Does anyone have tips on how to remove it?

Thx.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: There are two black plastic plugs on either end of the cover that essentially need to be destroyed with pliers or similar. That frees the ends. At the bolt locations, there are metal brackets that run between/through the guard and line guides. These must be removed, but it's not easy. The brackets have little bubbles near the end that will catch the plastic as you pull them through. A little, flathead screw driver can help to bend the plastic allowing the bubbles to pass underneath.

The cover has a separation point about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way back. I could not fully remove the bracket here, but was able to still separate the two pieces.

Last edited by hopslover; 01-21-2016 at 11:02 PM.