1999 CL 2.3 Auto - No start/crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:59 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CL 2.3 Auto - No start/crank

Okay, to preface this, I've had problems with my car since I bought it. I love the CL and I'm positive the problems I have are due to either age or previous negligence, but the problem seems to be getting worse.

When the issue first happened, my car would not start when I turn the key, yet I still had power to my lights and radio and the such. No clicking noise could be heard, it would just remain silent. No CEL. The only way to get the car to start would be purely waiting, whether it be the first time I've tried to start my car all day or the 80th, it would happen maybe 1 in 5 times I would go to start my car. After waiting roughly 10-15 minutes it would start and run perfectly normal with no signs that it was having issues.

Over time the problem has gotten worse and the wait times have increased to 25-30 minutes and it would happen every 1 in 3 times, but now it just plain won't start. I checked my battery and the voltage is correct, the wires aren't corroded and there still is no CEL. I thought it was my after-market alarm system (Viper 300 ESP [currently discontinued] because I had no remote to unlock the vehicle I thought it might have been shorting to some degree, so I removed the module itself from under my steering column, yet the problem still persists.

I'm completely at a loss for what the problem would be and I have heard many mixed "solutions" from different techs and I'm hoping somebody here would be able to help me. Thanks in advance, I'll provide any more necessary information.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First thought is starter? have you tried giving it a good tap to see if that changes anything?? Also thinking main relay or ignition switch I would start with ruling out the starter imo
Old 11-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
It's not the fuel relay bc once it cranks it starts.

Probably the starter or ignition switch.

Test the starter by jumping the starter solenoid. Make sure it's in park/neutral. If it cranks everytime then it's the ignition switch. If not, defective starter.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

Ignition switch is a common failure on these cars. Mine cost about $30 on Rockauto, no more trouble.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:34 PM
1999 Acura CL 2.3

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
definintly check for the ingition switch...wiggle it and if car shuts down thats it..i had several issues like stalling as im driving,no starts,electrical surges,rpm jumps etc

i went thru several things and replaced several parts that was un-needed and it was simply the ignition switch..oem on ebay cost mayb 40bux or less
Old 03-08-2016, 07:23 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Calirill
Okay, to preface this, I've had problems with my car since I bought it. I love the CL and I'm positive the problems I have are due to either age or previous negligence, but the problem seems to be getting worse.

When the issue first happened, my car would not start when I turn the key, yet I still had power to my lights and radio and the such. No clicking noise could be heard, it would just remain silent. No CEL. The only way to get the car to start would be purely waiting, whether it be the first time I've tried to start my car all day or the 80th, it would happen maybe 1 in 5 times I would go to start my car. After waiting roughly 10-15 minutes it would start and run perfectly normal with no signs that it was having issues.

Over time the problem has gotten worse and the wait times have increased to 25-30 minutes and it would happen every 1 in 3 times, but now it just plain won't start. I checked my battery and the voltage is correct, the wires aren't corroded and there still is no CEL. I thought it was my after-market alarm system (Viper 300 ESP [currently discontinued] because I had no remote to unlock the vehicle I thought it might have been shorting to some degree, so I removed the module itself from under my steering column, yet the problem still persists.

I'm completely at a loss for what the problem would be and I have heard many mixed "solutions" from different techs and I'm hoping somebody here would be able to help me. Thanks in advance, I'll provide any more necessary information.

UPDATE!
After thoroughly checking every thing possible that would cause this issue, it turned out to be a very dirty and corroded negative terminal on my battery. Changed the problem and it hasn't had a problem since.