diy- subwoofers using stock setup & how to run power cables

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
diy- subwoofers using stock setup & how to run power cables

Couldn't find many pictures on how to do a clean install and after finding a gem of a thread about LOC's I feel this is a must.

What I'm doing here is install twin MTX 12" subs with a 1000w amp.

1) installing the power cable. Always give yourself plenty of slack with the cable, you dont want to run out of room on either end.
a) find the firewall grommet, using an ice pick make a hole through the rubber. Tape your cable end to end with something striaght, like a long drill bit, apply some lube(I used silicone oil). Push the cable through the grommit. I've seen a few people do this the improper way, doing it this way will ensure no water leaks and no chafing.
(pic from engine bay)

(pic from under the dash)

(pic of engine bay after it was all hooked up.note, do not hook up battery connection till the job is complete)

b) pull up you door sill trim
at this time you probably want to get your amp remote wire in. You'll have to find another diy on how to remove your stereo. Big time hint: the remote wire is yellow/white with a Bose HU.
back to the door sill, pull up the carpet and run your wires under the already existing set of cables.

c) here's where I have another good trick, now pull up the door seal, exposing the access behind the rear seat trim. Pop out two of the retainer clips.

now you have to get a coat hanger and hop in the trunk, pull down the carpet by the left rear strut. At the very bottom you'll see those cables you saw in the door sill, carefully probe with your hanger till you can grab it from the door side. Dont worry, it should be a slim chance that you could catch leather or a wire, not gonna happen.
From here it's pretty self explanatory, pull the remote and power cable through, install your amp ground wire where ever you can find a good place.

Installing an LOC(Line out converter) to run the sub woofer off the stock Bose stereo.

LOC's cost maybe $15 and can save you some big headaches, especially if you dont want to swap out the HU at this time. You'll be splicing into the rear speaker wires and running these wires to the LOC, I strapped mine to the trunk ceiling. Then simply run RCA wires to the amp, follow your instructions that came with you amp and LOC

At this time you might want to use an ohm meter to make sure everything is properly hooked up, especially if you're using splicing connectors, like I did, sometimes they dont connect.

After your all hooked up, install the power wire to the battery, and tune the amp and LOC to match what you want from your system. Start low and work your way up.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice! i am getting ready to do a big install on my 2006 TL.

do you have any info on how to get to the stock aplifier? i have read it is on the drivers side/passenger kick panel but havent been able to find any info on how to take the panel off? thanks

amps- Hifonics-brutus-2610D-2600 @ 1 ohm/ zues 4 channel 110 watt rms x 4 @4 ohms

Mids-2 sets of Alpine SPX/PRO 6.5 Componits

subs- MTX T9500-44

Tsunai 5-Farad cap

Hifonics MX-1 OEM.

and a bunch of odds and ends!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:08 AM
MmmBAAAA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have that same LOC, which numbers did you plug L & R into?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Your Girlfriend is in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any downsides if you leave the firewall open? Couldn't poke a hole so I just shoved an opening enough to fit my 4 gauge through it since I knew a 4 gauge wouldn't fit through that covering.

- RemieGino14 -
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
opps broken links, bumping to remind myself
Old 04-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Myxomatosis, any chance you still have those pics and could update the links? I'll archive the page on Archive.org for future reference if you can.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
opps broken links, bumping to remind myself
2017 reminder