Where does this part go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:01 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Where does this part go?

The wife had a hit-n-run at Walgreen while parked in the lot before X-mas. My BlackVue front/rear dash cam caught the full size Ram truck scraping the driver's side rear quarter panel trying to park next to our MDX. The Ram truck scraped, parked, and left before my wife finished up in the store. It was too dark to get a license plate when the A-hole left by going straight out the empty parking spot in front of the truck. It cost me $250 with my insurance since we couldn't track the truck down.

Only a few days in the shop for repairs; but, I found an extra part in the hatch the next day (X-mas Eve). Tried to look up where this part goes or even if it worth taking back for the body shop to re-install. I don't want the body-shop to toss the part in the trash and say it is fixed if I don't know where it goes to double-check installation.

Next day after hit-n-run:
Name:  IMG_02111_zpsxergzqup.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  2.96 MB

Extra part left in MDX hatch after body shop work:
Name:  IMG_02291_zpsc3imyt9s.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  1.67 MB
Old 12-27-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
looks like an interior hatch piece

check for missing interior pieces in hatch!!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:17 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by justnspace
looks like an interior hatch piece

check for missing interior pieces in hatch!!
I've looked in the hatch; but, everything seems to be in place. I don't know if there are two mirror image parts located on the driver and passenger sides, or only from one side or the other? I think they had to remove the entire rear bumper to paint? Doesn't look like much was holding this part in place and it might have just fallen out or they just forgot to put it back when installing the bumper. It almost looks like it might go somewhere behind tire wheel arch and rear quarter panel to protect the fuse box in the hatch maybe. I can't seem to find the exact part on the exploded parts diagrams most Acura parts stores have.

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-27-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
thats what I aws thinking! my 3G TL has a carpeted wheel well in the rear
Old 12-28-2016, 02:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I've looked in the hatch; but, everything seems to be in place. I don't know if there are two mirror image parts located on the driver and passenger sides, or only from one side or the other? I think they had to remove the entire rear bumper to paint? Doesn't look like much was holding this part in place and it might have just fallen out or they just forgot to put it back when installing the bumper. It almost looks like it might go somewhere behind tire wheel arch and rear quarter panel to protect the fuse box in the hatch maybe. I can't seem to find the exact part on the exploded parts diagrams most Acura parts stores have.
First off, some people are such fricken assholes.

I also right away thought it looks like it goes in the wheel well area. I'm sure you checked, but I would have expected some part number or something on it at least. I personally think you should go back to the shop and watch as they double check everything. For all you know it might not even be from your car. But I would want it done properly if it was my car.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:11 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
If the shop worked on your left quarter panel. It goes behind the left quarter trim panel.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:44 AM
mrgold35

Taking the MDX back to the body shop today. One or more of the rear back-up sensors is giving a double beep code like it is faulty or disconnected. I had the sound turned down to notice the beep code until a few days ago.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:45 AM
mrgold35

The body shop guy said the part wasn't from the MDX when they replaced the missing wheel arch molding and repainted the the rear quarter panel. Looks like a part that was on the shop floor and the was placed in the back of the MDX by mistake. They ordered new rear parking sensors because they couldn't figure out why one was causing the double beep code. I gave them the pdf install and operation manual and it showed the double beep is a faulty right corner sensor; which, is opposite of where the MDX was hit. Maybe there might have been more internal damage since the rear hatch fuse box and the back-up sensor hardware are located near where the MDX was hit?
Old 12-30-2016, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Lol, that's one of the lamest and funniest explanation I've ever heard about placing a random car part in a customer's vehicle.

So the shop is being truthful and honest but what they're really saying is that they routinely leave parts off of cars that they work on and can't keep track of which parts came from which car so they randomly shove the extra parts in a car to make room for future random parts... Awesome! .
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (12-30-2016)