Ridiculous gas mileage.. Help..!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 02:41 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ridiculous gas mileage.. Help..!

I have a Acura MDX 2006 with 150k miles. .
I know the car is getting old.. But when I bought , I wasn't expecting this car to suck so much fuel. .
Im just getting 13 miles per gallon in the highway . Im getting 130 miles for every 10 gallons.

If I drive in the city in only getting 10 to 11 miles per gallon.. This is ridiculous… ! I dont have a check engine light , But I do have the VSA with the ! exclamation mark lights on. ( VSA and ! )
I just just changed the spur plugs a week ago thinking it will help me, but it didn't do anything. .
help me..
Old 03-08-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
A couple of recommendations:
1.- Adjust your valves! When exhaust valves wear out they tend to tighten themselves up so do not expect a noisy valvetrain until you decide to adjust them! every 115K is my recommendation to adjust valves.
2.- Clean the EGR Passages in the Manifold, EGR is pretty radical on Honda engines and like to build carbon up pretty fast. This will hurt your MPGs gradually until the EGR is completely clogged up and throw a Check Engine Code.

And like always proper maintenance: Engine Oil (Use Synthetic for better MPGs), Keep your tires with a proper PSI (35 Cold, Not 32), Change your ATF and Always use the highest octane fuel possible in your area. Another specific that can bump up MPGs slightly: Change the transfer case fluid to Full Syn Mobil 1 LS Diff Oil.

If all of that fail I would consider checking the engine compression because there could be something very bad going on the engine to keep all of that in check and still get that low MPGs.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:07 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you for your recommendations

Thank you for the recommendations. Im going to do this asap, I hoping to get better gas mileage after all this..
Old 03-18-2017, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The other culprits I would look at in any car suffering MPG issues are primary (pre-cat) O2 sensors and mass air sensor. The latter reads aurflow into the engine so the computer can fuel accordingly, and the former provide feedback for rich/lean conditions. Both can deteriorate in function over time and adversely affect mileage well before they are bad enough to throw codes.

make sure the air filter is clean, and look into new O2s, especially if they haven't been changed. 60-80k miles is a good rule of thumb to count on for changing them as they can get carboned up over time. You can get mass air sensor cleaner at a parts store and clean the sensor too - it doesn't necessarily have to be replaced.