Remote Broke - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 01:39 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Remote Broke - Questions

My remote (for the doors, etc) broke. The "open" feature does not work because the chip thingie under the open button came loose from the board. Way too small for soldering. The rest of the remote functions work, the key is cut & starts the vehicle.
My question is: Is the anti-theft "programing" that makes the key work contained in the actual metal key, or is it programed into the remote?
Meaning, can I just buy a new remote and change out to my existing key and everything work?
Or, will I have to pay for another programing? Or another key, cutting, & programing ?
Old 02-21-2017, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
2007-2009 Acura MDX Remote Key Programming Information / Replace My Keyless Entry Remotes and Car Key Fobs Replace My Remote

You'll need to repair the new remote with the ECU.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
The key itself has the Chip it is located in the hinged plastic part of the key that rotates inside the FOB... The FOB is a separate part than can be purchased separately.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Originally Posted by Skirmich
The key itself has the Chip it is located in the hinged plastic part of the key that rotates inside the FOB... The FOB is a separate part than can be purchased separately.
This what I was hoping for. The locksmith place I called said the key was just a piece of metal and all the electronic & programing was in the FOB part.
I guess I could remove the metal key from my broken FOB and see if it still opens the door & starts the vehicle without the FOB.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:49 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

The locksmith dude was full of shit-guess he either didn't understand the Acura keysystem or he wanted to sell me the whole rig + programing.
I removed the key part completely from the FOB and it unlocked the door & started the vehicle just fine.
Found a nice used replacement FOB on fleaBay for $22.00

Now the sun roof control button is messing up....
Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Congrats!
And yeah, that is the full shenanigan to sell you the complete FOB + KEY... Dealerships will try to sell you the same deal that is why is super expensive to replace at the dealership, The key/chip is the most expensive part of your key + fob combo.

If you browse the online catalog you will find that the Blank Key cost almost the same as the FOB itself.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's an old thread, but...the link above is dead now, and I thought I'd drop in another link to help those looking for programming instructions on these forums:
https://northcoastkeyless.com/2009-a...-instructions/
Hope this helps someone else!
Old 06-24-2019, 04:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Security Chip in Acura Key

I know this is the MDX forum, but all Acura keys work the same. Started having problems with my wife’s 2000 TL - over a 6 mo period it went from “the key wouldn’t unlock the ignition” once in three months to happening several times a day. This was a mechanical problem, as jiggling the key eventually got it unlocked.

The first Acura dealer wanted about $600(!?!) to fix it. He said I’d have to replace the ignition lock cylinder, the door locks, and both keys (with reprogramming). Said “No, thanks”, and called the second dealer, told him about my experience with his competitor, and asked if he had a more reasonable solution. Turns out he did. Told me to call the two Good locksmiths in Kansas City. The first - Chet’s Lock & Key - whom I had done business with before, so knew and trusted, told me they no longer did automotive work, and referred me to the Same other guy, so I called him.

Bottom line, the other guy had me drop the car off for a couple hours (with an appointment). He rebuilt the lock cylinder, replacing the worn tumblers, and CUT THE SECURITY CHIP OUT OF MY OLD KEY and stuck the chip in a new key, reusing the fob. When I picked up the car, I realized I had only given him my wife’s key,. Since I rarely drove her car, I didn’t think my key would have a problem, but he recommended I try my old key in the new lock. My old key still didn’t work well, so he took the chip out of my key on the spot and installed it in a second new key. That took 5 minutes. Both keys now worked perfectly. The door locks were fine without needing any work.

Total cost? Fifty bucks!! If you’re in the Kansas City Vicinity, call Greg Brandt at Brandt Locksmiths. I highly recommend him. That was over 3 years ago, so his price may be a little higher now, but so what?

FWIW - the Acura dealer who quoted me the outrageous price is now owned by the other Acura dealer in the story - Jay Wolfe, who is, incidentally, the #1 NSX dealer in the US.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:59 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, so my replacement (OEM) key came in, and as I started really reading the instructions I posted in the link above, I realized that, since neither transmitter works, it is pretty much impossible for me to follow those instructions. To get your car into programming mode, apparently you have to press "Lock" on one of the remotes during the process. Well, since neither of my remotes work at all, this isn't possible, and I guess I'm stuck having to take it to the dealer for programming...dammit.

Does anyone know of any other way to program a new key to my MDX without any working remotes?

TIA!