Red Line vs Amsoil for MDX 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red Line vs Amsoil for MDX 2012?

Hi all,

I have seen some hardcore enthusiasts tilting towards either Amsoil or Red Line 0W-20 Engine oils and transmission liquids on the TL, TLX, RLX forums, but dont see threads about this in the MDX section. Please dont tell me MDX are driven by people who dont care about engine oils or ATF's and rely on Stealterships to do their oil changes.

I am debating between Amsoil and Red Line for both the Engine Oil and the ATF.
For the engine oil it has to be the 0W-20 and for the ATF i need your opinion.
I've been reading on the TL section where people use the Red Line Racing ATF (Type F) (link) transmission oil, and maybe a mix of D4 as well.
Not sure if that is ideal for the SUV's.
A local dealer here sells the Red Line D4, is that good for the MDX? I realize that Acura recommends DW-1 for the ATF's. So why the love for Racing ATF (Type F) series?
Anyways, whats your take on both the engine oil and the ATF oil either by redline or the amsoil.
And yes, i do have a local bumper to bumper dealer selling Amsoil SAE 0W-20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil. (link)
Not sure if its good, or should i pick up redline. I am firm on either picking either of this, I have done my research on the Mobil 1 and other brands, i am beat about the amsoil or the redline, just need your opinion on this. Please guide.

Last edited by MANswers; 04-17-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
$38; Honda brand semi-synthetic oil / oil filter and tire rotation using MM and done at "stealership" - Can't beat that deal and I do care a lot about my MDX, that's why I do it. You will never have an oil related failure, ever. No climbing under the MDX, same or better protection than any off the shelf oil/filter and I watch ESPN in the lobby while having coffee instead of climbing under the car. Love it and I am a fanatic about maintenance.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DagMDX2011
$38; Honda brand semi-synthetic oil / oil filter and tire rotation using MM and done at "stealership" - Can't beat that deal and I do care a lot about my MDX, that's why I do it. You will never have an oil related failure, ever. No climbing under the MDX, same or better protection than any off the shelf oil/filter and I watch ESPN in the lobby while having coffee instead of climbing under the car. Love it and I am a fanatic about maintenance.
Honda's recommended oil's are the reason why the Acura/honda has so many transmission failures.
Its a conveinent way to do what you recommend, but if you are like most of the people here on the forum, you wouldnt do that.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MANswers
Honda's recommended oil's are the reason why the Acura/honda has so many transmission failures.
Its a conveinent way to do what you recommend, but if you are like most of the people here on the forum, you wouldnt do that.
I am not sure where you are getting your information, but this is wrong and it would be responsible as a member do a bit more research before stating your opinion as fact. Also, most people on this and any Acura/Honda forum recommends and use OEM Honda ATF. Again, not sure where you are reading "most people don't." As a long time Honda Odyssey owner as well, I am very familiar with some of the trans issues they have had, none are due to using Honda OEM ATF. Earlier ones has fluid flow issues and the latest ones have some software issues causes shift problems and premature TC wear. Neither caused by OEM Honda ATF.
The following users liked this post:
dj5 (05-02-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 10:25 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I am not sure where you are getting your information, but this is wrong and it would be responsible as a member do a bit more research before stating your opinion as fact. Also, most people on this and any Acura/Honda forum recommends and use OEM Honda ATF. Again, not sure where you are reading "most people don't." As a long time Honda Odyssey owner as well, I am very familiar with some of the trans issues they have had, none are due to using Honda OEM ATF. Earlier ones has fluid flow issues and the latest ones have some software issues causes shift problems and premature TC wear. Neither caused by OEM Honda ATF.
I disagree.

Both Redline and Amsoil offer superior ATF's:

https://acurazine.com/forums/perform...ng-atf-764322/

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ng-atf-834299/

I use Amsoil simply due to it's viscosity (same as OEM) on my YD2.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

You are wrong here. I guess you are the same person who is opposed to the idea of adding other fluids other than what Honda feeds you. And i've replied with the same response.
Seeing is believing. I performed a full drain and changed 8 liters of ATF oil with the RedLine D4, and my my the MDX is so much smoother, shifting and the the morning startup and take off is so much better. The engine sounds soo much quiter and smoother. Part throttle shifts are smoother, full throttle shifts are firm and quick. The inconsistent shift feel I had was gone.

This is just your opinion, and that too a minority opinion.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...d4-atf-776213/
The following users liked this post:
princelybug (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MANswers
You are wrong here. I guess you are the same person who is opposed to the idea of adding other fluids other than what Honda feeds you. And i've replied with the same response.
Seeing is believing. I performed a full drain and changed 8 liters of ATF oil with the RedLine D4, and my my the MDX is so much smoother, shifting and the the morning startup and take off is so much better. The engine sounds soo much quiter and smoother. Part throttle shifts are smoother, full throttle shifts are firm and quick. The inconsistent shift feel I had was gone.

This is just your opinion, and that too a minority opinion.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...d4-atf-776213/
How many forums have you posted this same message? Are you a paid spokesperson for Amsoil.