Q's on 2013 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Q's on 2013 MDX

Hi MDXers,

I own a 07 TL which is my 3rd TL - (love my car) however the family has been growing and Ive been looking to add a MDX to the garage. Im getting a decent deal on 2013 MDX with tech package/DVD etc however the previous owner does not have a service history - and the mileage is 99700kms - which seems a lot for a 3 year old car.

Also, there is a trailer hitch installed so Im guessing the previous owner hauled a trailer on and off with the car.

There are no accidents on the car and it checks out pretty good - before I pull the trigger, should I be worried about the mileage or the fact that the car hauled a trailer? Would that have taken a lot out of the engine?

With the car at 100000kms - and no service history available what would I be looking to do right off the bat - my goal would be to drive the MDX way past 250000kms if not more....so I wouldnt be selling it anytime soon....

Hope to get some feedback....really like the car but just a touch nervous on the two things I mentioned above...
Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
My 11 MDX is my main family hauler and I put around +55,000 miles in the last three years. Is there a chance the owner did all the work themselves or at a local shop instead at a Honda or Acura dealership? If there is no proof or the owner is not willing to share, you might be in a "buyer beware" situtation. They could have delayed or skipped M.I.D. services very easily by just resetting the maint warning light and just changed the oil at a min. On average, the 6AT, transfer case, and rear sh-awd diff fluids should have been changed at or before 100,000 km. I would change those fluids about every 50,000km if I did a lot of tailer hauling. The other maint follows the same schedule like the TL such as tire rotations, oil changes, 3 yr brake flush, and filters.

Another minor issue is your 4/50,000 mile basic warranty is gone; but, you still have our 6/70,000 miles powertrain. Unfortunately, if you have any powertrain issues, Acura could deny repairs if there is no proof of normal service and the failure is caused by poor maint.

There should be more 13 MDXs coming off lease with about 1/2 the mileage and more time on the basic and powertrain warranty. My 11 MDX was a lease return I purchased in Jan/2014 with 30,000 miles. I ended up needing the 4/50,000 miles basic warranty to do repairs I discovered after driving for a few months:
- worn front endlink caused by a torn boot
- replaced front magnetic strut
- replaced driver 1 key fob
- reflashed 6AT
- updated firmware to fix check charging warning
- replace passenger seat heater
- replaced 2nd row cup holder (wouldn't pop out when pressed)

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-29-2016 at 10:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
3.2cls6speedmt (12-30-2016), TypeAcura (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the feedback ^

From what I was told, the vehicle was bought at a dealer auction by the last owner so it was probably one of those vehicles which Acura sells to auctions and then they are picked up by private dealers. The owner who got it from the auction says they he didnt get any records with it however I can get them from Acura.

When I called the Acura dealer they told me they dont carry records and I should contact the Acura dealership where the car was purchased - ignoring the fact that I dont know the damn dealership where it was purchased in the first place !

The price is about 4k less than what I am getting elsewhere and the financing rate is pretty good which is why I was tempted to consider this vehicle to begin with,,,