New MDX buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
New MDX buyer

Hello Guys,

I currently own a 2016 Rl and in the market for a 2011 Advance MDX for personal and business use. I wanted to go with a 2011 range rover since the fuel consumption in the V8 and price in that year was just about the same as the MDX. After speaking with a friend that runs a high end auto company and reviewing the parts cost and reliability issues on the Range i will stick with Acura.

How much should i be looking to spend on a used 2011 MDX Advance and should i stay away from this year and go with a 2012 i would ideally love to get the umber seats...i just love that combination. I am not in a immediate rush to purchase so i can hold out for better deals for Christmas is needed but would love to get it before the interest rate hike!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:08 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The only real downside with the Adv model are the magnetic struts/shocks. My fronts went out around 35,000 miles; but, was 100% covered by the basic warranty (have 64,000 miles now). I ended up getting an extended warranty for 5yr/120,000 miles for about $2400 to CYA if they go out again in the next 4 1/2 years. Prices range from $700 to $1100 just for one not including labor+alignment $$ if there is a random failure.

I like the Adv features if you do a lot hwy driving and you travel to different cities/states. I don't get much use from the Adv features (except the cooled seats) in local driving. I would have been 100% fine with a tech if my X was just an in town/in-state vehicle. MDX also gets about 13-16 mpg in stop/go city driving. You can get 21-24 mpg on 100% hwy.

I've seen quite a few MDXs with the umber interior for a cheaper price compared to taupe/ebony/parchment. It is a love it or hate it interior color (looks 10X better in person than internet). I've only see them in the white or black exterior colors. The +12 models also have graystone interiors added to the mix.

I'm 6'3" and 250lbs, the back seats are almost as comfortable as the front seats when traveling (a little short on thigh support). The 3rd row only in a pinch and for sm/med size kids only.

I would go for a tech in any year/mileage or Adv model with some of the 4/50,000 basic warranty left (or Acura Care extended warranty already included).
The following users liked this post:
Mr.Tea (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 06:25 AM
Racer

I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond to my question in the first place.
I wanted to ask are the shocks different on the Advance model? you mentioned (magnetic struts/shocks). Do they adjust the ride heigh by any chance or is this more like the Aspec shocks we had in the RL os the option.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The only real downside with the Adv model are the magnetic struts/shocks. My fronts went out around 35,000 miles; but, was 100% covered by the basic warranty (have 64,000 miles now). I ended up getting an extended warranty for 5yr/120,000 miles for about $2400 to CYA if they go out again in the next 4 1/2 years. Prices range from $700 to $1100 just for one not including labor+alignment $$ if there is a random failure.

I like the Adv features if you do a lot hwy driving and you travel to different cities/states. I don't get much use from the Adv features (except the cooled seats) in local driving. I would have been 100% fine with a tech if my X was just an in town/in-state vehicle. MDX also gets about 13-16 mpg in stop/go city driving. You can get 21-24 mpg on 100% hwy.

I've seen quite a few MDXs with the umber interior for a cheaper price compared to taupe/ebony/parchment. It is a love it or hate it interior color (looks 10X better in person than internet). I've only see them in the white or black exterior colors. The +12 models also have graystone interiors added to the mix.

I'm 6'3" and 250lbs, the back seats are almost as comfortable as the front seats when traveling (a little short on thigh support). The 3rd row only in a pinch and for sm/med size kids only.

I would go for a tech in any year/mileage or Adv model with some of the 4/50,000 basic warranty left (or Acura Care extended warranty already included).
Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 AM
mrgold35

I have the A-spec struts/shocks on my TSX. The TSX A-spec lowers the vehicle about 1" all around and stiffens the ride all the time. The MDX system is the same system you find on GM vehicles like on a Corvettes or CTS-V with metal in the oil that can be adjusted for firmness between comfort and sporty rides. It doesn't lower the MDX like A-spec; but, can give the same benefits when the road gets twisty along with sh-awd. I think the MDX has the best programmed sh-awd system with more rear bias and side-to-side TQ split compared to the fwd heavy sh-awd set-up of the other vehicles. The MDX drives smaller than other SUV of the same size/weight. I usually leave mine on sporty while the wife like comfort mode. The Adv shocks also assist in braking by keeping the X more level. I assume it does the same for acceleration and curves to improve handling.

The Adv model also comes with larger front/rear stabilizer bars, auto leveling headlights, Active Cruise Control (ACC), Blind Spot Indicators (BSI), Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS), 19" Adv tire/rim combo, seat beat pre-tensioners, perforated front/rear seats, 3 level heated seats, and 3 level cooled seats. I also did the Ent system which gives you rear heated outboard seats with the DVD IR headphone system.

You can turn any of the extra tech on/off if you don't need or like it. I pretty much use everyone of the extra features when traveling at +20,000 miles per year. Some folks just converted the magnetic shocks/struts into regular for about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost when the they fail. There are several threads on how to do this and everyone seem to be happy with saving $$$ and ride quality (still have the larger front/rear stabilizer bars and extra tech).

Last edited by mrgold35; 09-01-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Mr.Tea (09-01-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Racer

When you change out the Struts will the suspension button still work? i thought those were special shocks for comfort and sport mode?
I have the A-spec struts/shocks on my TSX. The TSX A-spec lowers the vehicle about 1" all around and stiffens the ride all the time. The MDX system is the same system you find on GM vehicles like on a Corvettes or CTS-V with metal in the oil that can be adjusted for firmness between comfort and sporty rides. It doesn't lower the MDX like A-spec; but, can give the same benefits when the road gets twisty along with sh-awd. I think the MDX has the best programmed sh-awd system with more rear bias and side-to-side TQ split compared to the fwd heavy sh-awd set-up of the other vehicles. The MDX drives smaller than other SUV of the same size/weight. I usually leave mine on sporty while the wife like comfort mode. The Adv shocks also assist in braking by keeping the X more level. I assume it does the same for acceleration and curves to improve handling.

The Adv model also comes with larger front/rear stabilizer bars, auto leveling headlights, Active Cruise Control (ACC), Blind Spot Indicators (BSI), Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS), 19" Adv tire/rim combo, seat beat pre-tensioners, perforated front/rear seats, 3 level heated seats, and 3 level cooled seats. I also did the Ent system which gives you rear heated outboard seats with the DVD IR headphone system.

You can turn any of the extra tech on/off if you don't need or like it. I pretty much use everyone of the extra features when traveling at +20,000 miles per year. Some folks just converted the magnetic shocks/struts into regular for about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost when the they fail. There are several threads on how to do this and everyone seem to be happy with saving $$$ and ride quality (still have the larger front/rear stabilizer bars and extra tech).
Old 09-24-2015, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Tea
When you change out the Struts will the suspension button still work? i thought those were special shocks for comfort and sport mode?
Nope, the suspension button will not work if you swap to regular shocks. You'll need the $4K ADS shocks.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:15 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
As far as the price of any car, here's a good starting reference point:

Look at what a dealers have been paying for used cars at auction, by going to cudlautosmart dot com
Then choose the research tab
Then scroll down to the Blackbook icon

Enter the year make model, or VIN if you have it.

You'll see suggested retail and auction sales.

Remember, the dealer won't offer you auction value, for your trade in, because if he wanted a car like yours he'd go to an auction. He'll offer you about $1,000 less and you'll have to negotiate up to the auction value.
Mr.Tea (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Racer

Having a hard time finding an Advance 2012-13

Hello Guys i am having a hard time finding a certified pre-owned Advance MDX 12/13 nothing on Acura's website.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello Guys i am having a hard time finding a certified pre-owned Advance MDX 12/13 nothing on Acura's website.
It's possible you're having a hard time finding CPO 12's or 13's because they're still covered under the factory warranty.

Best of luck with your search.
Mr.Tea (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 11:12 AM
mrgold35

There should be 12/13 coming off 3 year leases for the next year or so. One thing I needed most was time and cash on hand to wheel and deal. If you know what you want, I would only look for that particular color combo/tech level first. I would not settle because you are stuck looking at the vehicle for X amount of years feeling dissatisfied deep down. I started my search at:

- Acura dealerships within a day of driving because they don't always advertise on other site except their own.

- Other luxury dealership websites, you can get lucky at a Infiniti or Lexus dealership when someone traded a MDX for theirs.

- Carmax; more expensive, they only keep the best vehicles, can ship anywhere from $99-$799 if you find the exact model you like 5 states over.

- Autotrader, you can find an Acura that are for sell by owner, Acura dealerships, or non-Acura dealerships.

- Cargurus.com, same as Autotrader; but, you can sometimes find a MDX not listed on Autotrader. This is how I found my MDX at a Honda dealership 5 hrs away in another state.

I would recommend making sure the MDX has some of the basic 4/50,000 mile warranty left because there are always minor stuff wrong with every used car. Any other extended Acura Care, 3rd party, or Acura CPO doesn't cover you as much like the basic Acura warranty. You might even think about doing an Acura Care extended warranty if you go for an Adv model because of the magnetic shocks OR have $$ to convert to reg shocks when they go out.
Mr.Tea (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by J-Spec Dan
It's possible you're having a hard time finding CPO 12's or 13's because they're still covered under the factory warranty.

Best of luck with your search.
thanks.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:49 PM
Racer

I am looking for a CPO 12/13 advance without ENT system... black or Charcoal with around...40,000 miles.

I defiantly would like the CPO because of the extra year. I found a few on CARMAX but man they are $$ to purchase from. I will be trading in my 06 RL with about 133,000 miles. I guess i can hold out until December or Jan but it would mean a lower trade for my RL.

I really appreciate all your help!

There should be 12/13 coming off 3 year leases for the next year or so. One thing I needed most was time and cash on hand to wheel and deal. If you know what you want, I would only look for that particular color combo/tech level first. I would not settle because you are stuck looking at the vehicle for X amount of years feeling dissatisfied deep down. I started my search at:

- Acura dealerships within a day of driving because they don't always advertise on other site except their own.

- Other luxury dealership websites, you can get lucky at a Infiniti or Lexus dealership when someone traded a MDX for theirs.

- Carmax; more expensive, they only keep the best vehicles, can ship anywhere from $99-$799 if you find the exact model you like 5 states over.

- Autotrader, you can find an Acura that are for sell by owner, Acura dealerships, or non-Acura dealerships.

- Cargurus.com, same as Autotrader; but, you can sometimes find a MDX not listed on Autotrader. This is how I found my MDX at a Honda dealership 5 hrs away in another state.

I would recommend making sure the MDX has some of the basic 4/50,000 mile warranty left because there are always minor stuff wrong with every used car. Any other extended Acura Care, 3rd party, or Acura CPO doesn't cover you as much like the basic Acura warranty. You might even think about doing an Acura Care extended warranty if you go for an Adv model because of the magnetic shocks OR have $$ to convert to reg shocks when they go out.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 AM
Senior Moderator

screw CPO, just make sure you can buy acuracare warranty on your car or something from fidelity or Mercury. I'd recommend a full coverage platnium exclusion plan that states what they DON'T cover.

fidelity has paid over 50K on repairs to my 760 without much trouble.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:08 AM
Racer

Update, I found a 2011 with 60,000 MILES FOR $25,998 is that a good price for that year and mileage?
1. Does the MDX come with the roof rack or is that an option. I notice that some comes with roof racks other don't
2011 Acura MDX Advance in Boynton Beach, FL- 11840346 at carmax.com

Last edited by Mr.Tea; 09-29-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
I would but it. That is a very low price, especially for Carmax..
Read the fine print about the normal wear and tear items like the shocks, before you spend another $3,000 on the warranty.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:37 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
These aren't necessarily all Advance models but just some food for thought relative to mileage and pricing in the Metro Atlanta area (your profile says GA). atlanta for sale "MDX" - craigslist
Old 09-29-2015, 07:55 AM
mrgold35

Looks likes that MDX on Carmax looks in pretty good shape. It is difficult to see in fuzzy pictures; but, black is about the hardest color to keep looking clean. Are you able to do a CarFax to see the paper trail for ownership and maint? The MDX already has a trailer hitch. I can't tell for sure if it has the harness also (doesn't look like it). A trailer hitch is just as good and sometimes better than a roof rack. My wife is 4'11" and she can't do anything with the roof rack except look at it. I have both on my MDX and get 2X-3X more use from the hitch compared to the rack (I think the MDX just looks better with the rack). These were the issues I've had when I purchased my MDX that was covered by the basic warranty:

- torn front endlink boot
- replaced front magnetic shocks
- firmware update for' check charging system' error
- replace driver 1 fob
- replace rear seat cup holder
- adjust HID level
- 6AT reflash
- replaced front passenger seat heater
- repaired front puddle lights

I would make sure to take the MDX on a test drive with lots of bumps and turns to listen for any knocking/clunking in the suspension. The other issues I've had can happen with any 07-13 MDX.

Last edited by mrgold35; 09-29-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Mr.Tea (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Racer

I totally agree on keeping a black car clean! i am having second thoughts now but it looks so sharp in that color especially with the Advance rims. Can i still get coverage for 60,000 miles from acuracare? I can hold out a little bit longer on the MDX i really wanted something with 35/38,000 miles but at this price lol... would be ideal. I really don't plan on buying another car until about 8years or so.
Looks likes that MDX on Carmax looks in pretty good shape. It is difficult to see in fuzzy pictures; but, black is about the hardest color to keep looking clean. Are you able to do a CarFax to see the paper trail for ownership and maint? The MDX already has a trailer hitch. I can't tell for sure if it has the harness also (doesn't look like it). A trailer hitch is just as good and sometimes better than a roof rack. My wife is 4'11" and she can't do anything with the roof rack except look at it. I have both on my MDX and get 2X-3X more use from the hitch compared to the rack (I think the MDX just looks better with the rack). These were the issues I've had when I purchased my MDX that was covered by the basic warranty:

- torn front endlink boot
- replaced front magnetic shocks
- firmware update for' check charging system' error
- replace driver 1 fob
- replace rear seat cup holder
- adjust HID level
- 6AT reflash
- replaced front passenger seat heater
- repaired front puddle lights

I would make sure to take the MDX on a test drive with lots of bumps and turns to listen for any knocking/clunking in the suspension. The other issues I've had can happen with any 07-13 MDX.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
^^^ You have to buy the extended AcuraCare extended warranty before the original one expires. In this case, the MDX in question is out of warranty based on miles (60K). And while there are other companies out there that will sell you an extended warranty, I would personally not go with anything other than AcuraCare. There are simply too many exclusions and loopholes, not to mention disagreement between your shop and the warranty company in terms of what is wrong or needs to be fixed, etc.......
Mr.Tea (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:45 PM
mrgold35

You can call Acura with the VIN to verify exactly when the basic warranty expires if you find an MDX under the 4/50,000. The clock starts when the MDX was purchased, leased, or used as a loaner vehicle for months by the dealership. My MDX basic warranty expired in Jan/15 and I purchase an Acura Care warranty Dec/14 with 48,000 miles on my MDX. The Acura Care warranty won't pay until the 4/50,000 basic, 6/70,000 powertrain, or any other TSB extended warranty expires first.

Acura care is the way to go with the magnetic shocks/struts on the Adv model. The part can go +120,000 miles with zero issues or fail 2-3 times before 120,000 miles; its a crap shoot. I really love the adv features; just don't like paying for them.
Mr.Tea (09-30-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 04:11 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by csmeance
just make sure you can buy acuracare warranty
I completely agree w/my buddy here. AcuraCare is the & will bail you out many times...
Mr.Tea (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Racer

Found a 1 owner 2012 Acura MDX Advance Pkg... running boards and trailer hitch.. with 24,000 miles for $34,875.

It has pin stripes which i am not really a fan of but can live with.
What should i offer the dealer its a GMC dealer. I was told it was traded in. Would offering $31,000 be too low for this car?

Last edited by Mr.Tea; 10-07-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Found a 1 owner 2012 Acura MDX Advance Pkg... running boards and trailer hitch.. with 24,000 miles for $34,875.

What should i offer the dealer its a GMC dealer. I was told it was traded in. Would offering $31,000 be too low for this car?

It's an average deal. If they can remove the pinstripes and do 35K out the door, then take it. Tax is around 2K, plus the tag fees, dealer fees, etc.

Good Luck
Old 10-09-2015, 09:41 AM
mrgold35

The trailer hitch (with harness?) and side steps is about $800-$1200 value if you try and purchase on your own later. If there are other accessories the dealer is unaware of can also sweeten the deal on your end (all weather mats, cargo mat, roof rack, side molding, parking sensors, etc...). New(ish) tires, decent brake pads, and up-to-date on maint can also save you some $$ on the deal that may not be reflected in the asking price. The mileage is low for a 2012 and you still might have some good life on the basic warranty to correct any issues after the sale (and get an extended warranty).

I rather spend extra $$ on something I really want instead of saving $$ on something that is only in the ball park. I would go for it if this is the tech level and color combo you like.
Mr.Tea (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Racer

Yes defiantly but thesis a GMC dealer so i don't think he is going to add those additional features...Backup sensors would be nice! do you think i could offer a little lower than asking and what is fair $30,000... since i am I checked and it has been fully maintained by Acura. called a few dealers for Acura Care only said they got rid of acuracare and is now using CNA National 100,000/7yrs $2570.00
another dealer said they are using Zurich 60,000miles or 60 months $2925.00 and 125,000 /108 months $3816.00 all sound very high to me.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:20 PM
mrgold35

I meant those accessories might be on the MDX already; but, the GMC dealer is unaware of what is standard or aftermarket and it might not be added into the price (like the hitch).
Mr.Tea (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Racer

Got you so what would you offer them for the MDX from the asking price of $34,875?