New 2012 Advance/Ent black on black (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
New 2012 Advance/Ent black on black (pics)

After all the hassle with 2 kids and kids stuff.... and luggage travel to airport with kids ... and road trips, my wife and I finally decided it was time to trade in one of out four door cars for a bigger vehicle.

This is how we used to roll:

We traded in her 2005 black/black TSX with navi. It had 88,932 on the clock when we seperated. It was lots of fun to drive and handled like a dream:

She can currently be found here:
http://sterlingmccallacura.com/Houst...k-Car/9215365/

Well, long story short, we needed a bigger vehicle and wanted an MDX. We decided on the advance/ent because we wanted something that would be fun to drive, comfortable, and great for the kids. We sprung for the purchase during Acura's recent incentives over the Memorial Day weekend and got the MDX we wanted with 0.9% for 5 years. Checking out Ziggy's thread also made this decision a little easier.. Our MDX had 7 miles on the meter.

So this is how we roll now:

with tint:

Tint was the 2nd mod.
LEDs were the 1st mod. (I'll get better pics of the bulbs that were replaced by LEDs when I get another chance to snap some pics)

I've decided not to finance the accessories because I'm a big DIY kinda guy, so I have a few more mods/accessories in store.

Future plans:
So far I've got a spare tire cover that I'll install this weekend. (because I hate that the spare is exposed to the elements, which can reduce it's life over time). And I upgraded the shifter to the leather/wood option. And, there's an HD TV tuner box inside, that's connected to the Rear entertainment system.

*Rear Bumper Applique (on the way)
*Advance Running Boards
*Silver Roof Racks
*Backup sensors
*Front and Rear Garnish
*Wood/leather Steering Wheel
*Trifold Cargo Tray
*Rear Cargo Cover

That's it for now. More pics to come as I introduce the new MDX to mods.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Congrats! Great looking X

You might want to consider body side moldings?
The following users liked this post:
SlimTL (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 11:43 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTL

Future plans:
So far I've got a spare tire cover that I'll install this weekend. (because I hate that the spare is exposed to the elements, which can reduce it's life over time). And I upgraded the shifter to the leather/wood option. And, there's an HD TV tuner box inside, that's connected to the Rear entertainment system.
What? Do tell how did you do that?
*Rear Bumper Applique (on the way) Best investment ever dont know how many times my kids baseball,basketball,skateboards and other stuff fall out and hit the edge of the bumper
:
Again SLIM congrats on the pick up and DAMN you have done alot to the MDX already
SlimTL (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to updates.
SlimTL (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Congrats! Great looking X

You might want to consider body side moldings?
I'm not sure how useful that would be considering the MDX is pretty tall. I have them on my TL, but I rarely see the benefit in them. Maybe you can enlighten me on the positives of getting it.

Originally Posted by ziggyh22
Again SLIM congrats on the pick up and DAMN you have done alot to the MDX already
Thanks bro!

The HD TV tuner is just a simple hookup. Back in the old days of "2008" when analog tube TVs still existed, HD tuners were handed out. I had one left over just for a day like this, since all the TVs in the house are updated. All I did was connect it to the power supply so that I can acheive a TV signal on the cheap. I'll eventually customize this setup, so that's in the distant future.

And the rear bumper applique, I found out, is especially necessary on black paint. It's so easy to scratch that rear bumper and black paint will surely let you know you're not as careful as you should be.

Originally Posted by paz840
Congrats! Looking forward to updates.
Stay tuned!

Last edited by SlimTL; 06-11-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Future plans:

*New camera
*Rear Bumper Applique (on the way)
*Advance Running Boards
*Silver Roof Racks
*Backup sensors
*Front and Rear Garnish
*Wood/leather Steering Wheel
*Trifold Cargo Tray
*Rear Cargo Cover
Fixed

Nice ride man, we've also had a TSX and TL (among others) and the MDX always seems to be the car we take everywhere (especially now with a 2-year-old).
Old 06-11-2012, 06:13 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
These are some nice cars! Congrats on the MDX! Very stylish. Love the TL on A-specs w/aspec kit, ditto for the TSX.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I did the rear bumper appliqué myself and it was great, especially with strollers and luggage.

I also have the Advance running boards and silver roof racks sitting in my garage. Our 2011 MDX got hit by hail ($13K damage) and spent 5 weeks in the body shop. Just got it back yesterday.

Now back to the mods!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
The HD TV tuner is just a simple hookup. Back in the old days of "2008" when analog tube TVs still existed, HD tuners were handed out. I had one left over just for a day like this, since all the TVs in the house are updated. All I did was connect it to the power supply so that I can acheive a TV signal on the cheap. I'll eventually customize this setup, so that's in the distant future.

!
FYI - the tuner is not HD, it is digital standard definition. The screen in the MDX is not HD either so even if you could find an HD source such as a blu ray player, you would not be able to view it.
mywifesacura (02-21-2014)
Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by db22
FYI - the tuner is not HD, it is digital standard definition. The screen in the MDX is not HD either so even if you could find an HD source such as a blu ray player, you would not be able to view it.

I know I can't get HD because the setup in the car isn't made for it. I just wanted to pick up the stations on the new standard format. And since everything is digital, I hooked up the "digital" tuner.

Thanks for the insight though. Makes me wonder, since blu-ray is the new movie format does it make sense for automakers to eventually integrate them into their cars? Maybe DVDs will be around a little longer.

I did the rear bumper appliqué myself and it was great, especially with strollers and luggage.

I also have the Advance running boards and silver roof racks sitting in my garage. Our 2011 MDX got hit by hail ($13K damage) and spent 5 weeks in the body shop. Just got it back yesterday.

Now back to the mods!
The only thing that concerns me about the bumper applique is I hope it's not annoying to put on like those screen protectors on phones. I can never get those things on without bubbles or lint under the film..
It is a useful accessory though.

Glad you got your ride back. I'm sure she'll be pampered for a while.

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
These are some nice cars! Congrats on the MDX! Very stylish. Love the TL on A-specs w/aspec kit, ditto for the TSX.
Originally Posted by Type34
Fixed

Nice ride man, we've also had a TSX and TL (among others) and the MDX always seems to be the car we take everywhere (especially now with a 2-year-old).
Thanks. Acura reliability is what keeps me around. (and the tech goodies). I like to keep my cars for as long as possible. Once this is paid off, it'll be around for several years. Unless, of course, I can get a good trade-in on the new NSX.

Last edited by SlimTL; 06-12-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah, the camera sucks at night. I gotta look into a solution one of these days.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:14 PM
David_Dude

I... still... love your Aspec TL.
SlimTL (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

LEDs

New Mates

5k DRLs

DRLs with parking lights on

5k fogs with HIDs

Closeup of 5k parking LED

6k License plate LED

6k Reverse LEDs

5K Tailgate LEDs

Tailgate output

Sorry for the low quality cell phone pics, but it's hard taking pictures at night. I need to buy a new DSLR camera.

Installed the rear bumper applique and Advance Running boards last night. The boards were pretty simple, in my opinion, but time consuming (bout 3.5 hrs).
Old 06-17-2012, 07:37 PM
David_Dude

Very nice!
SlimTL (06-18-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
nice pair ya got there!

you have two black acuras....i have two gray acuras (ala TL and MDX).

good combo slim!

makes me wonder who else on the forums has the same tandem-a TL and an MDX in the stable. i know there are a few.
SlimTL (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 AM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

SLIM! Awesome job on the LEDS! Now I have to that to our MDX as well! Sorry for copying!
SlimTL (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice work Slim!
Could you post more pics of the running boards?

<---TL & MDX too (black/grigio)
SlimTL (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Very nice!
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
nice pair ya got there!

you have two black acuras....i have two gray acuras (ala TL and MDX).

good combo slim!

makes me wonder who else on the forums has the same tandem-a TL and an MDX in the stable. i know there are a few.
Acura's been good to me. No need to leave now. The X5, LR4, and Q7 were three alternatives I looked at, but the bottom line: I get more money's worth out of the MDX for the "standard" luxury compared to their "options."

That reminds me. My TL is due for the 105,000 service. I've been so focused on the X, I almost forgot.

SLIM! Awesome job on the LEDS! Now I have to do that to our MDX as well! Sorry for copying!
It's all good. It's amazing what a few LEDs will do to a car. Easily, one of the cheapest mods that yields the most fulfillment.

I see tons of MDXs on the roads around Houston, but I still like my individuality.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM
David_Dude

Quick question: Is it hard for you to keep two black vehicles clean? Many people complain, but for others it gives them something to do, like working on the car is a stress-relieve, for expample.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
11 advanced polished metalic. And 09 tl sh-awd mayan bronze metaliac. Both dark. It is hard to keep clean, but gives u a hobby if needed. If ur into cleaning cars get silver or white.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice! We just got an '12 MDX Tech for my wife in white. Yours makes me kind of wish we got black.
SlimTL (06-21-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Your DRLs are not LED are they and where do you purchase the bulbs from?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Quick question: Is it hard for you to keep two black vehicles clean? Many people complain, but for others it gives them something to do, like working on the car is a stress-relief, for example.
I'm a neat freak, so keeping both black cars clean isn't really a chore for me. It's more like a hobby. I usually wash on either Friday evenings for the weekend cruises or Sunday for the weekly drive. Washing is the easy part. Drying is the part that takes a lot of time becuase black shows all the water spots, blemishes, etc. I can usually clean both cars in about 1 hr and 30 mins.

Nice work Slim!

<---TL & MDX too (black/grigio)
Running board pics coming soon, Paz. Much needed rain is currently on the menu right now, but it should clear up in a couple days.

Oh, and nice combo.

Originally Posted by TLbullet
11 advanced polished metalic. And 09 tl sh-awd mayan bronze metaliac. Both dark. It is hard to keep clean, but gives u a hobby if needed. If ur NOT into cleaning cars get silver or white.
Fixed

Originally Posted by Flyboy4yang
Very nice! We just got an '12 MDX Tech for my wife in white. Yours makes me kind of wish we got black.
Congrats! White is a classy color and that was our second choice. Whatever color, the X is still an awesome SUV. Maybe you can get the 3rd gen in black?

Originally Posted by dominik331
Your DRLs are not LED are they and where do you purchase the bulbs from?
All bulbs (except visor) have been replaced by LEDs, including the DRL.

You can find them here:
http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-28-LE...22474-1-2.html

They are pretty bright to look at and don't trigger the DRL warning.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
All bulbs (except visor) have been replaced by LEDs, including the DRL.

You can find them here:
http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-28-LE...22474-1-2.html

They are pretty bright to look at and don't trigger the DRL warning.
I'm at about 1500 miles on my car, and really the only complaint is the poor visibility when backing up at night. I even thing that there was better visibility in the 07 RDX I traded in. My question is, do the LEDs make a clear difference?
And which bulbs did you use for it?
http://www.v-leds.com/921-LED/White-...orLanding/true
I don't want to spend $50 on an item that won't be useful.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I'm at about 1500 miles on my car, and really the only complaint is the poor visibility when backing up at night. I even thing that there was better visibility in the 07 RDX I traded in. My question is, do the LEDs make a clear difference?
And which bulbs did you use for it?
http://www.v-leds.com/921-LED/White-...orLanding/true
I don't want to spend $50 on an item that won't be useful.
Yeah the backup cam does suck at night. I was hoping that getting bright LEDs would have helped, but to no avail. The camera just sucks at night.
wrestrepo (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:32 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah the backup cam does suck at night. I was hoping that getting bright LEDs would have helped, but to no avail. The camera just sucks at night.
Thanks for saving me $50
SlimTL (06-21-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
David_Dude

I'm a neat freak, so keeping both black cars clean isn't really a chore for me. It's more like a hobby. I usually wash on either Friday evenings for the weekend cruises or Sunday for the weekly drive. Washing is the easy part. Drying is the part that takes a lot of time becuase black shows all the water spots, blemishes, etc. I can usually clean both cars in about 1 hr and 30 mins.
SlimTL (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Minor hiccup.

So last night, I was installing some wedge shaped LED's in the base of the doors. They came on for a second and then went out. I made sure that the electrical contact was made, but there was still no light.

I removed the LEDs and replaced it with the stock bulbs. Still no light. I checked all the fuses and everything is intact. This is bumming me out. All the other lights work except for the 3 doors that I tried to replace the lights in. The only door that lights up is the one with the stock bulb.

Has this happened to anyone before? Do some LEDs short circuit the sockets in our cars?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Advance running boards? . . . . Check!

Nice work Slim!

Advance boards installed.

Also installed 6k LED strips that illuminate with the interior lights with door open/close. I was inspired to do this when I saw a ZDX that had these as stock on it's advance boards.
I also liked the look on the Mercedes GL.

Interior footwell 6k

This is a bad pic at night, but you get the idea.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice. Love the 6k LED strips. Where did you buy them from and how difficult are they to install?
SlimTL (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:37 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

OH DAMN Those LED strips are nice! Different me likey! How bright are they at night? You should ask to be sponsored by the LED store you get them from cause you are LED'ED out from head to toe! Hahahah
SlimTL (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tk76
Nice. Love the 6k LED strips. Where did you buy them from and how difficult are they to install?
Thanks. I got them from V-leds.com: http://www.v-leds.com/Strip-Lights-L...orLanding/true. It was pretty easy if you're comfortable with 12volt electronics. All I did was run - and + wires into the vehicle and made a tap at the footwell lights. A little 3M tape and trim to "like factory"specs and your done.

OH DAMN Those LED strips are nice! Different me likey! How bright are they at night? You should ask to be sponsored by the LED store you get them from cause you are LED'ED out from head to toe! Hahahah
Thanks bro. They glow pretty well off the boards and are bright enough to see everything when entering and exiting the X. I'd say they're a tad bit under parking lights bright.

LOL. I'm done with LEDs now. Don't want to overdo it and rice out this thing. The TL side of this forum is what's driven me to mod this SUV.

Here's the Mercedes GL that I was referring to a few posts earlier:
Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Damn, those illuminated running boards look AWESOME! Did you put a metal plate on the top side or did the advance boards come like that? Acura should have made that an option straight from the factory! Especially if they're doing for the ZDX!

I hope the next gen MDX offers these! Beautiful ride by the way!
SlimTL (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
Damn, those illuminated running boards look AWESOME! Did you put a metal plate on the top side or did the advance boards come like that? Acura should have made that an option straight from the factory! Especially if they're doing for the ZDX!

I hope the next gen MDX offers these! Beautiful ride by the way!
No metal plate. It's 3M double side taped to the plastic kick panel. The ZDX is the only Acura with this running board option. With the trend Acura's been on lately, chances are the 3rd gen MDX will be a hit.

The ZDX that inspired me:

Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the pics Slim.
The running boards and LEDs look great!
SlimTL (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the pics Slim.
The running boards and LEDs look great!
No problem Paz and thanks for the compliments.

How's your X coming along? Did the body shop do a good job? Have you installed your running boards and roof rack yet?
And if you don't want your roof rack, I'll take them off your hands.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:39 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The LED strip is awesome. Keep up the good work.
SlimTL (07-02-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great looking ride
SlimTL (07-02-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Suzuka Master

No problem Paz and thanks for the compliments.

How's your X coming along? Did the body shop do a good job? Have you installed your running boards and roof rack yet?
And if you don't want your roof rack, I'll take them off your hands.
The body work turned out really nice. I was kinda skeptical considering how much work neede to be done, but the shop did great. The owner even offered to pay some of my rental expenses because it took him longer than expected.

I'm hoping to install the silver racks and advance boards next weekend. I can't wait! They've been gathering dust for months.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

The body work turned out really nice. I was kinda skeptical considering how much work needed to be done, but the shop did great. The owner even offered to pay some of my rental expenses because it took him longer than expected.

I'm hoping to install the silver racks and advance boards next weekend. I can't wait! They've been gathering dust for months.
Neither can I. Post pics when done.

I'm taking care of the TL right now, but my next move on the X is backup sensors and then roof rack. I'm focusing on the functional mods first and then the appearance mods.

Quick Reply: New 2012 Advance/Ent black on black (pics)