lost keys

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Registered Idiot

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
lost keys

looks like someone took my keys last night at the NYE party i went to. Assuming they don't get returned, what am i looking at for costs?

2010 MDX Adv.

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/...witch,950984,6

is this all i would need?

can i program it myself, or is it something the dealership has to do?
i know they'll need to cut it for me, as these keys come blank.

thanks and happy 2017
Old 01-01-2017, 02:40 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
You will need part # 7, which is the blank, unprogramed & uncut key; & part # 6, which is the remote. You cannot program the key yourself and the blank is even harder for stores to cut.
Then there is the issue of having another, second key & it's remote-there is Remote #1 & Remote # 2. Remote # 1 activates the memory positions for driver # 1 and remote # 2 the memory positions for driver # 2.

if you go through an Acura dealer, one cut & programed key with remote will run you over $200 I believe. You can save some money by buying the pieces over the internet & going to a local locksmith for cutting & programing. Try to real get Acura pieces on the internet. Locksmiths & especially the dealer will try to tell you that keys & remotes bought over the internet will not program or work right. The dealer may flat out refuse, the locksmith say they will "try but not responsible if it doesn't work..

The internet purchase & local locksmith programing has worked for me every time on 3 different vehicles-never had a problem with them.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by DBConz
looks like someone took my keys last night at the NYE party i went to. Assuming they don't get returned, what am i looking at for costs?

2010 MDX Adv.

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/...witch,950984,6

is this all i would need?

can i program it myself, or is it something the dealership has to do?
i know they'll need to cut it for me, as these keys come blank.

thanks and happy 2017
I saw you are in Boston....... You can give this guy a try. Affordable Auto Keys - Affordable Auto Keys Home. I'm not sure if he will be able to help without having a working key but definitely has blanks and remotes that he can program. He was able to duplicate a key and remote codes for my daughters Accord. I can't remember exactly what he charged but was less than $100 at the time. Might be worth a shot........
Old 01-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Make sure to tell the dealer that someone has taken your key so they will program the immobilizer with "all keys lost" method where it will disable all of your previous registered keys including the one that was taken. Don't forget to bring all of your other keys if you have any with you so they can program those as well because they will no longer work. There shouldn't be any extra labor to do this.

I've heard of cases where the client doesn't notify the dealer that their keys were stolen and they simply ask to add an extra new key, in which case does not disable the lost key.
A few days later the car is stolen with the lost key from their parking lot because the key was still fully functional.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:22 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my MDX it only came with 1 key, they quoted me $248 for a new one cut and programmed
Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Registered Idiot

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
same for me, but i refused to buy the car until they provided a spare key .
they finally gave me one, and i'm really thankful i did.

i ended up recovering my keys.

someone at the house party grabbed my keys by accident thinking they were his. i assume he took a cab home and noticed a new set of keys in his jacket.