How To: Acura MDX 2004 Replace Driver Door Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 04:05 PM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How To: Acura MDX 2004 Replace Driver Door Actuator

After spending approximately 4 hours, I succeeding in changing my Acura MDX 2004 Driver's Door Actuator. There are good how to posts available elsewhere. So I will summarize the key points that were most difficult:

Tools Needed
1. Flathead and Phillips Screwdrivers (#3 for the Lock Mechanism)
2. A small mirror
3. The right replacement part (I incorrectly purchased the passenger side)
4. Patience

See image for reference.

Key Steps

Easy ones first:
1. Remove Door Panel and peel back protective plastic.
2. Keep Window Up (it doesn't need to be down to remove panel)
3. Remove Window Guide Mechanism (lower 10mm bolt)
4. Remove Upper Lock Rod White Protector Backing (upper phillips screw)
5. Remove Rod A by flipping the plastic lock mechanism. Slide rod to right to get out of the way of the door hole.

Now for the harder parts:
1. Using your mirror, find the single small phillips screw that holds a white flexible protective panel on the lock/actuator unit. Bend it out of the way to reveal the plastic black flip lock mechanism (E) in the image to remove the external key door rod. It's trick to get at.

2. Now remove the three screws at the end of the door. Be very careful to not strip them. Push hard and deliberate while you twist off. Use your number #3 Phillips. I had extra screw on hand because someone did work here once before and stripped one of the screws. See part number in image.

3. Now lower the entire unit about an inch and should be able to remove electrical connectors (B) in the image.

4. I could not remove Rod (D) in the image. It appears I would have had to take off the external door lock to get to the lock screw. I wasted about 45 minutes until I gave up.

5. Rod (F) required that I unscrew the plastic decorative door lock and with just enough clearance, I was able to get the rod inside the hole so that I could manipulate the entire unit by slightly twisting. Lower the entire lock unit and be patient.

6. I had to carefully twist the entire unit while Rod (D) was attached enough so that I could get the unit out the door panel hole so I could work on it. I suspect I put a bit more pressure on it than I wanted but I became desperate while trying not to break anything.

Finally, replace the Actuator:
1. There are effectively two or three (I think three but I lost one putting it back and I used another) screws holding the actuator unit to the door latch. Note, one screw looks like it removes but it doesn't. There is a back clip. I highly recommend studying your new part and the old part before you remove any screws to get your action plan ready. Push hard with right phillips screw driver. I think there is locktight on the bolts.

2. After replacing the actuator, go in the reverse order to reassmble.

3. The hardest part is getting Rod (E) back on. The only way I could do it is to bend back the flexible white protective cover discussed earlier so I could see what I was doing.

4. Assemble back and carefully check the operation by plugging your electrical components back in to see that everything works. Check the key and the outside door handle as well. Remember, the door will not lock via the up / down central lock mechanism while the door is opened. This fooled me twice.

Acura MDX Door Actuator Replacement Image
Old 02-07-2016, 04:42 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 MDX Front Door Actuator

Trying to replace the front passenger door lock actuator on a 2005 MDX. Everything went okay until I ran into trouble trying to disconnect the outer handle (door) rod - Rod D in Marty's post - from the lock/actuator unit, so the entire assembly can be removed and the actuator replaced on a work bench. Can anybody help guide me? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:45 PM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking over my post and from memory, I didn't remove Rod D. Did you remove the external door handle so you could manipulate the rod?

Marty
Old 02-07-2016, 11:22 PM
7th Gear

Just rotate the actuator on its pivot (same plain) of the rod D 90 degrees +- and it will just pop out without much force
Rod D has a oblong 'nut' which hooks into the 'long curve' opening of the actuator

what is stopping you is that there is no room to maneuver it inside the door
so a little force to rotate it will work
or like Marty's post
remove the door handle and you might not break anything
Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 AM
4th Gear

2005 Front Door Actuator

Marty/Black Dog - thanks for the guidance. I was trying not to remove the exterior door handle, but will go that route if I'm ultimately not successful getting the little bugger off.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
To remove "Rod D" see Post #11 in the link below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...cement-929421/
Old 02-14-2016, 01:11 PM
4th Gear

2005 MDX Fr Passenger Door Lock Actuator

Thanks for all the help. 14-inch flat tip screwdriver was used to separate top portion of Rod "D" - attaching photo. This allowed me to remove the lock/actuator from the door, and replace the actuator on the bench versus wriggling around inside the door. Everything now back together and working again. Hope there isn't a next time!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:22 AM
4th Gear

Top of inner door handle rod, at point it connects to outer door handle. Used the flat tip screwdriver to separate. Bottom portion of rod connects to door lock assembly.
Attached Thumbnails How To: Acura MDX 2004 Replace Driver Door Actuator-top-rod.jpg  
Old 02-06-2018, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

I have 2004 MDX that I replaced the acuator on today. It took 1.5 hours. I only had to do up to step 2 omg the “hard ones” remove the screws highlighted in red and the entire acuator motor comes off. Super easy