DRL Warning After Installing Morimoto XB HID

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:55 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DRL Warning After Installing Morimoto XB HID

My OEM bulbs blew out and the Miami dealers being the dicks they are, wanted ridiculous sums of money to install new bulbs. I did a little research and found the Morimoto XB HID bulbs which were a fraction of the cost and seem to be almost as long lasting as the original bulbs. They are much brighter or at least the color makes them seem brighter.

The problem is that the DRL warning light is on and neither my mechanic nor I can figure out what the heck is going on. I know this is common with LED conversions due to the LED having less resistance and fooling the sensors into thinking the lights are out, but these are drop in HID bulbs.

Has anyone had this happen?
Old 02-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
wait.. you put HID bulbs in the DRL ?

why? DRL's run at half voltage so i don't think your HID ballasts are going to be very happy with that in the long run. You'll need resistors and a relay .

Also.. "drop in HID's"? are you not using a ballast?
Old 02-02-2017, 11:09 AM
10th Gear

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.

I replaced the blown headlights with the morimoto bulbs. I didn't touch the drls.
When the new bulbs were installed, the DRL warning came on.

By "drop in" i meant to say they are the same type of bulb. No LED conversions or anything like that.

All works perfectly well when the headlights are on. The DRL warning comes on when the lights are off.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Yeah.. i got very confused. I read it as you were trying to put HID bulbs in the DRL area without a ballast..

Do the DRL's work? DRL circuit should be powered on when headlights are off. You may have jiggled a connection loose in replacing the bulbs. Make sure the pigtails are tight ( so push the connector to the bulb AND the wire into the connector)
Old 02-02-2017, 11:28 AM
10th Gear

Ok! Thanks!

I will check those connections. I hope it's something simple like that.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
That sounds very weird.. I did not have any issues with my XBs in the Lows and the Retrofit in the Fogs.
Do the DRL lights turn on? Because the DRL System is very basic.