Completely Dead 2005 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:12 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Completely Dead 2005 MDX

I was driving my 2005 MDX (standard model - not the Touring model) last night and it had no problems. When I got home and put the gear into park everything went dead. There were no noises of any kinds prior. There were no indication lights on the dash panel prior. The headlights went out, no dome lights, no dash lights, no dash indicator lights, no radio, absolutely nothing (fortunately the windows were already up). I reinserted the key and turned it to the on position - nothing. Went to turn the engine on and nothing - no clicking, just nothing.

About 4-6 weeks ago I changed the battery. Before removing the old battery I checked the alternator and it's good - charging the battery properly at proper voltage (forgot what the exact number was). Upon insertion of a new Sears Diehard I used the code to turn the radio on. Then upon driving the car I would get random indicator lights turn on and off at random. All or any of the indicator lights would randomly turn themselves on and off - back and forth randomly. The radio would turn on and off at random as well. In fact, turning the headlights on would shut the radio off temporarily - figure that one out. This went on for days and after more than 50 miles of driving after the new battery was inserted. I did an internet search and found a fix. I turned off all the electrical - headlights, radio, cabin lights, all heaters, etc. Then I inserted the key and turned to the ON position without turning over the engine. I pushed the accelerator pedal to the floor and held it there for 30 - 45 seconds and then released it. I pulled the key out, reinserted the key and started the engine. Everything worked normally from that moment on until last night.

I'm stuck and need help. Why would the car drive fine for a month or so and then just go dead? It did not die while driving the car - it died as soon as I came home and put it in park. It's still dead. Did something happen with the chip ignition key? It's the only one I have so I cannot try another one. This is the standard model MDX with no blue tooth functions on the dash.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
sounds like something is draining the battery.

sorry that I couldnt be more help
Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 AM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found the solution. The battery cable connection was bad. Replaced the positive cable and connector. It came back to life and unhaunted. Driving normal.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
awesome!