Can I unlock just the tail gate with fob when doors are still locked

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Can I unlock just the tail gate with fob when doors are still locked

Trying to figure out if I can set the settings to unlock the tailgate only when walking up to my 2012 MDX with groceries without having to unlock the doors first. It seems that that functionality should be able to be programmed from the display. Anybody have luck in that area.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004acuratlgreen
Trying to figure out if I can set the settings to unlock the tailgate only when walking up to my 2012 MDX with groceries without having to unlock the doors first. It seems that that functionality should be able to be programmed from the display. Anybody have luck in that area.
If you are refering to auto unlock of the rear lift gate, that is impossible. I believe even on the current 2017 MDX. However if you mean opening the tail gate with the key fob without opening all the doors, I agree this is a stupid feature because I even have to unlock the doors before heing able to open the tail gate from the inside.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:26 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
You cant, its supposedly designed as a fail safe system so you do not push it open..
ie: If you accidentally unlock the car the alarm will self-arm in 15 seconds locking the doors but if you open the Tailgate by accident it cannot self-close because of liability issues.
So honda decided to leave it out by design and avoid future lawsuits.

This is exactly why we haven't seen "Close all windows" using the FOB either while you can open all windows with the FOB.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Skirmich
You cant, its supposedly designed as a fail safe system so you do not push it open..
ie: If you accidentally unlock the car the alarm will self-arm in 15 seconds locking the doors but if you open the Tailgate by accident it cannot self-close because of liability issues.
So honda decided to leave it out by design and avoid future lawsuits.

This is exactly why we haven't seen "Close all windows" using the FOB either while you can open all windows with the FOB.
While I can understand why they would set this fail safe up, I do not understand why it won't open even when using the button on the inside of the car. Obviously the button inside doesn't work as a result of the fail safe.

Sidenote: I installed an aftermarket compustart 2-way remote starter that also works to open the tail gate and I can open the tail gate with one button, however when pressing the button, it takes a couple seconds to first unlock all the doors and then unlocks the rear lift gate. I find it really cool that this button can unlock all doors and open the tail gate, but it does have to first disable the fail safe.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
I think they didn´t think about that in the 2nd gen, what about the 3rd gen? Does it still need to open the doors to open the tailgate from the inside?
Old 01-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Skirmich
I think they didn´t think about that in the 2nd gen, what about the 3rd gen? Does it still need to open the doors to open the tailgate from the inside?
Seems like a ridiculous oversight on their part to be honest. I assume the 3G has a work around for this because of the availability of smart key and iirc the 2G RDX with power lift gate has a button on the right of the license plate area to lock all doors so there must be a work around.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:03 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Seems like on ours, the power lift gate won't work with the key in the ignition by either the remote fob nor the button in the drivers door, but if all doors are unlocked, you can open it from outside manually. I think that's right???
Old 01-24-2017, 09:37 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I'm one of those dumb consumers that is fine with the 2 step process of unlocking the doors and pressing/holding the fob to open the tailgate. I ended up getting a fob cover for my keys because I found my windows slightly rolled down more than once when I was going home after work. I must have accidentally pressed/held the unlock button on the fob when placing my MDX keys+keychain in my pocket in the morning. The MDX was set to re-lock after X seconds; but, I would hate for the hatch to be open all day if I didn't notice walking away. It would very hard to open the hatch accidentally if there is a two step process. Effort wise, it only takes 1 extra second to unlock the doors and press/hold the hatch. I'm just glad to have this feature because it really helps with my 4'11" wife and keeps our hands clean and dry when it is raining or if the X needs a wash.