2008 MDX, Deal or Pass?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 MDX, Deal or Pass?

Hello everyone, hopefully to become a MDX owner soon (sold my 05 TL, needed something bigger). I found a black base model with 176000 miles on it. He's the second owner. I checked it out the other day and noticed these issues. Right tail light cracked. CD player stuck with a CD. Small oil leak coming from around the oil filter area. Carfax says it was in an accident which the seller said the back window was busted when a salesman was backing the vehicle. Timing belt, water pump, tensioners and all pulleys changed at 92K. I plan on having it inspected at a Sears Auto. The seller's bottom line price on it is $6750. Worth considering or keep looking? Thanks!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Timing Belt is due again, That "Small Oil Leak" in the Oil Filter area can mean Oil Pump = $$$$, All in you are probably seeing more money than getting a Working Order MDX... Also for a Base Model is not cheap at all with that many problems. Sears Auto??? Please NO... Go to a reputable Car Shop or better yet an Acura Dealership.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skirmich

Long Answer: Timing Belt is due again, That "Small Oil Leak" in the Oil Filter area can mean Oil Pump = $$$$, All in you are probably seeing more money than getting a Working Order MDX... Also for a Base Model is not cheap at all with that many problems. Sears Auto??? Please NO... Go to a reputable Car Shop or better yet an Acura Dealership.
Thank you for the input. I was trying hard to convince myself that it was a decent deal but in reality, you are right, the issues it has, especially for being a base model, doesn't make the price as attractive. Was thinking Sears Auto because it was right there and for convenience.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:08 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich

I agree, I would pass on this one and keep looking for one in better shape. Other than an oil change or tires I wouldn't use Sears auto.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:15 PM
8th Gear

I just bought a 08 black tech with 127k miles for 9k, and I still feel that I over paid however it seems to be properly maintained the only snag is that the car fax doesn't specifically say that it has had the timing belt serviced and a couple of interior quirks just my 2 cents you can draw whatever you like from it
Old 01-23-2017, 03:39 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
9K and you feel like you overpaid? how so? KBB says a car in those conditions and mileage should be +15K.