2006 Stalls at idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Stalls at idle

210k miles on the car. Whenever at idle car stalls. Gets better after warmed up.
I've replaced the fuel pump and EGR valve and cleaned the EGR port and seafoamed engine without change

had timing belt and fuel pump replaced around 200k miles.

Any thoughts? Valve adjustment? If so, can a decent local mechanic complete that or should I go to dealer?
Old 12-24-2016, 12:54 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
No OBDII codes at all?
That year didn´t have a IACV (Idle air control valve) since it was Drive by Wire the TB (Throttle Body) seconds as IACV..
If there are no OBDII Codes (Check Engine) then it will be very hard to diagnose Online, Better get it to a Dealership and have it check.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No codes. Once I replaced the fuel pump and egr all codes went away. If I take my foot off the gas and it falls below 800-600 rpm range, 50% of the time it dies.

Thanks for the info re the idle air control valve - I've been looking for it with .... frustratingly .... no luck. Good to know I'm not insane yet.

i read an article about how car computers will adjust idle, etc. automatically. E.g. Say a throttle body is gunned up, the computer will compensate for lack of airflow at idle which means when you clean it out the computer needs to adjust back to life with the proper amount of air at idle. Is it possible that the computer in my MDX will adjust idle on its own now that the egr port is clean, there is a new egr valve and a new fuel pump? That sounds too good to be true to me but I'm grasping for some hope. The thought of putting $500 into a dealer visit on a car worth -- when running well -- $5k makes me a little ill.

I sincerly appreciate your response - as does my son. He and I took this project on together hoping to save the car for his use when he gets his license in a few months. I must admit, working on something that requires me to learn everything new can be frustrating, but spending the time with my son makes it worthwhile. I'm hoping this car becomes one of those stories that comes up at every family gethaering ten years down the road: "remember that MDX that refused to run no matter what part we changed? Good thing we stuck with it, that car got me through college".
Old 12-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
What was the codes noted before you changed any parts... P03 hundreds?

​​​

​​
Old 12-25-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Merry Christmas!
Now, The prices of those MDXs are high enough to warrant a visit to the dealership.. I know it might be somewhat Intimidating but sometimes dealerships will diagnose the issue pretty fast! Getting that diagnose do not impose you to fix the issue with them so you might want to use them to diagnose your issue only and fix it somewhere else.