05 mdx replacement engine options

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:38 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 05 mdx replacement engine options

hi im new to this community but have been working on Hondas for over 20 years. I have been looking for two days with no real answer. I have built and done many b series swaps in crx, civics and integras when I was younger. unfortunately I got out of that scene and haven't kept up to much with the newer engine compatibilies. I have a chance to buy a very clean 2005 mdx with a blown engine. I can pick It up for 800$. I was looking for replacement engines and they go for 1200 and up in my area of Connecticut. for the hell of it I looked up 2005 acura rl engine prices and seen that they can be bought for 600 to 800 $ . I am very capable of doing the swap and swapping any parts from the mdx engine over to the rl engine if need be. my question is can I use the rl engine or is there something that will cause an issue. keep in mind that I have done things like crv b20 swap with integra inake in a civic etc. so swapping parts to make things work is not an issue. even If some parts of the harness need to be lengthened that would not be an issue either. If anyone could give me some good insight as to why I could or could not put the rl engine in the mdx I would appreciate it. the sooner the better because im not sure the deal will last very long. thank you
Old 12-08-2016, 02:28 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess this isn't gonna be as simple to get an answer as I thought. figures why I found no info at all on it. well if anyone has any input that would be great I would love to get back into an acura/Honda again
Old 12-17-2016, 05:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, im in the same process. From what ive found you can usr the j35a8 engine. But theres no one thats done it. Theyve swapped the rl engine into a ridgeline. So im assuming you can, i was gonna bite the bulet and do the swap as well and hooe it goes well and works
Old 12-18-2016, 10:46 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Im in the same situation and almost certain you can. Even a j37 should fit. Give this theead a read as well.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/7g-honda-accord-performance-discussion/248138-different-swap-motor-combination-mt-transmission-%2Asticky%2A.html